Zinsco panelboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

I am not too familar with this brand and have read a few threads about this type of panelboard. I have an existing hotel with Zinsco panelboards installed, should I recommend for these panleboards to be removed? Are they on par with the FPE problems?
Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Zinsco panelboard

I think this kind of thing is a judgment call.

The fact is that there a number of factors that would tend to lead one to not suggest replacement in such a situation. Some of these factors are:

- a lack of objective data upon which one could make such a decision
- a hotel typically has pretty good fire detection and suppression systems, possibly leading one to the conclusion that the slight chance that one of these panels might cause a fire might not actually substantially increase the risk
- hotels are usually staffed 24/7. this tends to reduce the risk if a fire actually did occur

On the other hand:
- you can never be too safe
- if you have a problem down the road, even if not remotely related to the PB, the fact that there is some anecdotal evidence of problems with these panels might make some weasel lawyer very rich

sandsnow

Re: Zinsco panelboard

I worked maintenance at a facility with Zinsco equip. Bolt on panelboards with either small frame Zinsco breakers or large frame FPE. They were in service 10 years when I left with never a breaker failure. It was at least another 10 years before it was replaced.

I've seen pictures of later model zinsco bolt on panelboards and they look different then what I worked on. They appeared to be of a lesser quality.

The stuff we had was installed in the early '70's and was pretty bulletproof. It stood up to rigors of temporary wiring.

The Zinsco switchboards were another story. Major crap piles for installation of new circuit breakers.

Some may have different experiences, but the small "loadcenter" equipment of both brands is what caused the most trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.