3-WAY DIMMER:

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattus

I find it convenient to use a standard 3-way switch with a 3-way dimmer instead of using two dimmers.

Opinions please.

bigjohn67

Re: 3-WAY DIMMER:

2- 3way dimmers will not work properly. You always need a standard switch on one end and a dimmer on the other in this application. It has been that way problably since dimmers were invented.

If you have the first dimmer set to 50% then the second dimmer will only dim that 50% and you will never get full brightness.

[ August 07, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: bigjohn67 ]

rattus

BigJohn, Two 3-way dimmers may be used, but they have to be connected just so. For the Levitons I am using it is Red to Brown and Black is common.

I am asking if anyone thinks it is advantageous to be able to dim from both locations.

rattus

Ronald, your opinion is as important as anyone's.

[ August 08, 2005, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: rattus ]

macmikeman

There are three way dimmers made that can dim from both ends. Try the smart dimmer from Lutron. I have sold plenty to upper end customers. They tend to like the fact that they do not have to reverse cross the room to only one location to dim lights. Cost is about 50 bucks for the pair.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by macmikeman: There are three way dimmers made that can dim from both ends. . . . I have sold plenty to upper end customers.
I'll stick with being a low end customer. ;) I have a 3-way dimming setup on the stairs to the Master BR. The dimmer is at the bottom, and the lights are for a small alcove to the side of the stairs. But they also provide light for walking up the stairs. I can set whatever light level I like, and can turn it off from the BR. I can't see needing anything fancier than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.