Electricity 101

Status
Not open for further replies.

tshea

Got a call today from POCO...They were energizing 4 services on a building for me. (It's legal not the point). The foreman calls and says there is current on the 400Amp service. I tell him it's because the CTs and Meter are causing it. I almost had to go to work and educate the POCO crew today. I found out after 50 questions one of the crew checked continuity between phases and to ground. No current is present. What the guy was reading was the continuity through the 3ph meter.
The setup is a transocket with CTs for each phase and then voltage taps. Seven wires run out to a KWH meter.
This is the 3rd time I've gotten calls like this from the POCO. Maybe they'll figure it out...nah!
Think I'll call on Monday...

peter d

Re: Electricity 101

To quote Charlie E (I am 99% sure he said this but please correct me if I am wrong):

"Linemen are not electricians, and electricians are not linemen."

charlie

Re: Electricity 101

10-4 on that, good buddy. :D

Our linemen do line work and are sometimes connecting large services. The small services are done by our service connection people. If the line crew that is doing this is not familiar with metering and the metering is installed before the service is energized, they will be thrown a curve. Most of the time, we will energize a service without the metering installed in the CT cabinet and the metering guys will catch up a day or two later. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.