How to handle ranges under 1 3/4 kW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimWA

230.55 explicitly states "appliances individually rated in excess of 1 3/4 kW shall be permitted to be calculated in accordance with Table 230.55"

Rare in the field I expect, but I have class homework range calcs that include ranges of 1 kW.

Column 1 of Table 230.55 at "Less than 3 1/2 kW Rating" would seem to include 1kW, however the heading of the table, clearly again, "Demand Factors and Loads for Electric Ranges...and Cooking Appliances over 1 3/4 kW"

My guess is nameplate, but need a bonafide code reference to verify as this is exam prep. Anyone?
thanks,
-Tim

bphgravity

Re: How to handle ranges under 1 3/4 kW

Your guess is correct. There is no demand factor for that sized range, therefore nameplate rating will have to be used.

Wes G

Re: How to handle ranges under 1 3/4 kW

Originally posted by bphgravity:
Your guess is correct. There is no demand factor for that sized range, therefore nameplate rating will have to be used.
The one thing that you might want to take into consideration in addition to this, is note 4 below 220.55. Often when this size of unit is given on a calculation problem you also have wall mounted oven included in problem. ;)

Goodland, KS

Status
Not open for further replies.