residental panel grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

stek492

I see a lot of high school student being taught to hooking ground wires in the neutral bar on a 200A panel. Our company uses a ground bar and seperate conductor to the main disconnect and is bonded there. What is the code# that covers this.
Thanks

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: residental panel grounding

If this 200A panel is the service equipment, then EGC'S can be connected to the grounded conductor, i.e neutral. 250.24(5) prohibits a grounding conductor connection to the grounded conductor on the load side of the service disconnect.

stud696981

If the panel is the FIRST disconnect (Neutral Bonded to panel) then this is perfectly fine. Think about it, the neutral bar is bonded to the case which the the ground bar kit is bonded to as well. No code violation here or safety issue here.

As far as saving space on the neutral bar and making a little neater install, I generally will use a ground bar kit.

This may be confusing though to the students if they ever work on a sub-panel or a panel with an outside disconnect.

stud696981

After rereading the first post, it sounds like maybe they were being taught to do this when the panel was not service equipment, because of an outside disconnect box. If that is the case then they are wrong for putting grounding wires on the neutral bar.

stek492

Thanks for replies.
The 200A service disconnect is outside under meterbase. The 200a panel I was talking about is in the basement(main lug).

speedypetey

Absolutely wrong then. BIG violation.
If they are being taught this the teacher should be spoken to.
They should be taught the diference between a main panel/disconnect and a non-service panel (subpanel).

Status
Not open for further replies.