Clothes Closet Receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As far as the NEC is concerned the answer is yes. Local or other codes may be a different story.

Roger

bgeorge

I have done a good amount of new homes, where the home-owner wants a receptacle in the closet specifically to charge their cell phone. Never had a problem with any inspector--they are more stringent on the placemnt of closet luminaires.:)

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I have done a good amount of new homes, where the home-owner wants a receptacle in the closet specifically to charge their cell phone. Never had a problem with any inspector--they are more stringent on the placemnt of closet luminaires.:)

What's the problem. I've got a circuit in my coat closet with a camera battery charger, and cordless drill charger,and streamlight flashlight charger in it. Besides I can't thing of a normal household load that wouldn't be safe in the coat closet.

Jim W in Tampa

what will change it is a lawsuit. That will wake them up. But first make shure they actually have it in local code. Then to get attention sue for $ million. That will get you a phone call for starts. I love sueing the government

Buck Parrish

I had a customer that wanted three in every closet. One on each wall.:-?
Are you sure? He say's we'll you never know when you will need one.
Can you imagine the rest of the house:rolleyes: It was crazy. But he paid right on time.:smile:

I did make sure I didn't back stab the closet outlets. Imagine trouble shooting that house.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
what will change it is a lawsuit.
Yep, it's much safer to force the resident to use an extension cord running into the closet than it is to provide them with a receptacle to use in there. :wink:

twoskinsoneman said:
Besides I can't thing of a normal household load that wouldn't be safe in the coat closet.
Are you kidding? Everyone knows it's human nature to make toast in a clothes closet, if you install a receptacle in there.

Now, here's my question: Do I need TR receptacles for that location? :)

480sparky

........ Besides I can't thing of a normal household load that wouldn't be safe in the coat closet.

Cordless vacs. Rechargeable flashlights. As the OP stated, a cell phone charger.

In some cases, bedrooms get used as offices. I've been asked to wire 'clothes closets' for fax machines, copiers, coffee makers, microwave etc. because the owner wants to 'hide' the stuff in the closet. Granted, they're not using the closet for clothes, but for office storage.

Jim W in Tampa

Cordless vacs. Rechargeable flashlights. As the OP stated, a cell phone charger.

In some cases, bedrooms get used as offices. I've been asked to wire 'clothes closets' for fax machines, copiers, coffee makers, microwave etc. because the owner wants to 'hide' the stuff in the closet. Granted, they're not using the closet for clothes, but for office storage.

That could turn into something interesting. So if i have a desk and not a bed is it nolonger a bedroom ? What makes it a bedroom ?

M. D.

In Mass the regulated decide what a space is used for,.. this is a formal interpretation

Question 7: 780 CMR 3603.16.13 requires that an existing one- or two-family dwelling be provided with
a household fire warning system for new construction when one or more sleeping rooms are
added or created in the existing dwelling. What constitutes a bedroom under this Section?

Answer 7: The State Board of Building Regulations and Standards (BBRS), as the Agency
promulgating the Massachusetts State Building Code, is the ?AUTHORITY HAVING
JURISDICTION? (AHJ) regarding the interpretation of regulations of the State Building
Code and has determined that it is the responsibility of the building owner or the agent of the
building owner to identify any new or newly created bedrooms or other space USES.
If
submitted plans and/or narratives that describe the work intended identify such new additions
or newly created spaces as other than bedrooms then 780 CMR 3603.16.13 does not apply
(note that it is the ?REGULATED COMMUNITY? and not the ?REGULATOR? who
identifies, on plans and/or narratives submitted as part of the building permit application to
the Building Department, if a bedroom is being added or created)

Status
Not open for further replies.