Questions for employment test

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are in the process of hiring a new electrician and want to give the candidates a short test on commercial wiring. Just something to separate the guys with a good resume and no experience from the guys that can do the work but can't write a resume. I prefer the latter. We have a mix of people with mostly residential and people with mostly industrial. The job is staff electrician for a technical college. Any suggestions for questions.

ibew441dc

We are in the process of hiring a new electrician and want to give the candidates a short test on commercial wiring. Just something to separate the guys with a good resume and no experience from the guys that can do the work but can't write a resume. I prefer the latter. We have a mix of people with mostly residential and people with mostly industrial. The job is staff electrician for a technical college. Any suggestions for questions.

To weed the obvious out, ask these questions, that only a decent Electrician would be aware of immediately.

1) What is the take up on a 1/2'' hand bender? (repeat the question for 3/4'',1'',and 1-1/4'') [answers 1/2''=5, 3/4''=6, 1''=8, 1-1/4''=11]

2) What is the multiplier for an offset using 30 degree bends? [answer=2]

3) A hot wire is any color, other than ? [answer= Green, White or Grey]

4) If it is cheaper and the Electrician decides that it is okay, Methods other than outlined in the NEC are acceptable? [answer=NO]

........I'll try to think up some more. I like the fact that you would attempt truly find a good Electrician. Being able to right a good resume is a sign of certain skills, but not necessarily being a good Electrician.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
For the position you are looking to fill I would ask:

In which NEC Article would I find information on the following.

Grounding and bonding

Motors

Transformers

Services

This sounds simple enough and it is the first thing I like to ask. The answers can be surprising.

charlie

1) What is the take up on a 1/2'' hand bender? (repeat the question for 3/4'',1'',and 1-1/4'') [answers 1/2''=5, 3/4''=6, 1''=8, 1-1/4''=11]

. . .
I can't agree that a residential wireman would need to know these two answers. It is not all electricians that run conduit, some run rope. :)

To weed the obvious out, ask these questions, that only a decent Electrician would be aware of immediately.

3) A hot wire is any color, other than ? [answer= Green, White or Grey]

4) If it is cheaper and the Electrician decides that it is okay, Methods other than outlined in the NEC are acceptable? [answer=NO]

........I'll try to think up some more. I like the fact that you would attempt truly find a good Electrician. Being able to right a good resume is a sign of certain skills, but not necessarily being a good Electrician.

To add to the list, ask them about multiwire branch circuits, and shared neutrals. You can have a drawing on there and asked them what would happen if the neutral was opened on the shared neutral circuit that is at the source.

ask about ohms law, P=I x E , E=I x R
Do they know what an 'ugly's book is??
To get really tough, ask about a basic control diagram start stop station. ;)

480sparky

The main purpose of a transformer is to ____.

Answer= This is a trick question:mad:! It could be to destroy or to save the planet. It all depends on whether it is an Autobot or Deceptacon:grin::wink:

No, that would be a Transformer, not a transformer. Subtle, but highly significant, difference.

ibew441dc

I can't agree that a residential wireman would need to know these two answers. It is not all electricians that run conduit, some run rope. :)

Charlie,

Agreed, but, stevemcytc is looking for a Commercial Electrican.

What is the "take up" rule for two, 250' roles of 12-2 in a multistory building? [answer=make the apprentice take it up the stairs:grin:]

Thanks, 480Sparky. May I use your test. Since I'm trying to weed out some of the folks with resi only experience, I can compare their resi responses to their commercial responses to see if they know both. I also like the math problems, much needed in commercial, not so much in resi.

480sparky

nice job - that's a great test to get a feel for the basic knowledge of a new hire !

( I love the cotter pin on the "attach box to wall" question lol)

Don't laugh, but it's a question that came from a test I actually took once.... and I recalled the time I managed to install a 4sq. box onto a solid concrete wall with a toggle bolt.

Yes, I did manage to do just that. Not sure how well it's held up since then, but it sure was solid when I left it...

ibew441dc

Happy to help!

Happy to help!

Thanks again 480Sparky, I also liked IBEW441DC's questions, I'll try to incorporate those as well, if he's okay with that.

Absolutely!:smile:

By the way Welcome to the Forum!!!:smile::cool:

just remember...... any thing we say can and will be used against us here on the forum :wink:(incompetents become competent)......it happens to me all the time:grin:

charlie

. . . stevemcytc is looking for a Commercial Electrican. . .
One of these days, I will start reading the question . . . nah.
icon11.gif
:smile:

ibew441dc

One of these days, I will start reading the question . . . nah.
icon11.gif
:smile:

I thought you were helping me make my point:grin: Electricians are not always best picked for their discipline of reading the directions:grin: Besides who needs questions......we've got all the answers:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.