Distance between underground pull boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Distance between underground pull boxes?

It would depend on the size and type of the conduit, and on the sizes and numbers of conductors. Can you give us more information?

celtic

I think it's more dependant on the length of snake/rope you own :D AND the length of conductors AVAILABLE - keep in mind, a 300' run of 5 x #10 is no big deal...but a run of 4 x 500KCM on one reel will take some figuring (how are we gonna get off the truck?)

suggested distance between pull boxes.

suggested distance between pull boxes.

I have read your replies and I realized that I need to give much more info if I want good replies :shock: . These are runs of 1" PVC going more like 375 feet to a pull box and then continues from there. The voltage drop requires a wire size of # 4. I was under the impression that you should[/i] have a pull box every 200 feet for ease of pulling. I guess this is only a rule of thumb if I am going to pull the wire. :lol: This is just a lighting circuit, for some area lighting at a reservoir site. The contractor for this project did not install any pull boxes and I was just thinking that 375 feet was kind of a long pull. :?

mugsg

infinity said:
How many bends?

See Section 344.26
"Bends---Number in One Run. There shall not be more than the equivalent of four quarter bends (360 Deg) between pull points, for example , conduit bodies and boxes."

Enjoy

growler

It's not the length of the pull that makes it hard. If the PVC was run right in the first place then a 375 ft. pull shouldn't be to bad. I like compressed air to blow all the dirt and gravel out of the pipe and then blow the rat through ( if you don't have a rat use a mouse ). Then use a 1/2" pull rope and lots of soap. The soap is not just to make pulling easier it reduces the stress on the cable. The real trick to pulling in PVC is not to use factory 90's, use the hot box and make longer sweeps. If you catch someone using factory 90's at floor boxes, hit them with something.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Gravity can also be a big help; pull downhill, even if only slightly so.

I once almost got hit in the face by a set of 500MCM conductors dropping two floors then going horizontal for about 50'. The wire almost fell into place.

Of course, carrying it up the stairs first was a real pain.

jw441

RE: Distance between underground Pull Boxes

RE: Distance between underground Pull Boxes

You mentioned this was for area lighting at a reservoir site.
It's fairly standard/typical, that the electrical specs for water utility/public works projects, require UGPBs for branch circuits and control wiring to be strategically placed in 200' intervals ("strategically placed" refers to physical area of placement over exact lineal distance, e.g. keep away from lower ground like drain swells/grates, heavy vehicle traffic areas, non-practical access areas, etc. future accessibility/convenance should be considered as well as stub-up placement/arrangement in box, size of box, proper ID of all conduit & wire, and any future known needs that can be achieved through this box, should be addressed at this time, even if its just one EL/stub and a couple feet of pipe, extending beyond the "you may as well dig-up the box now" point, and preferably heading where it can do the most good).
Duct seal all the stubs before closing the lid for the last time, which will require removing all of the temporary protection of each stub, like duct tape, rags, anything you used to ensure clean conduit systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.