Service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsr

Here is my situation: I have the power company
service feeding a 600 amp disconnect,from the load side of the disconect it feeds seven meter cans,from the load side of the meter cans is seven 100 amp. disconnect feeding the panels in the seven units. My question;is the neutral supposed to be bonded to ground at the 600 amp. disconnect or the 100 amp. disconnects.
Which is my first service disconnecting means?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Service disconnect

Originally posted by kitsr:Which is my first service disconnecting means?
The 600 amp one.

By the way, wouldn't the "six disconnect rule" come into play here? You have seven feeders that do not have overcurrent protection at their source of power.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If the 600 amp disconnect is a meter disconnet, it is not the service disconnect. 230.82(3).
Don

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer

The reference you cited says its OK to put meters on the line side of a service disconnect, which is usually where they are. Is there any prohibition in the code of putting meters on the load side? I think with 230.82(3) you could have these 100A panels be disconnects if you want them to be, but what permits you to not call the 600A disconnect the main disconnect? The meters and other panels were all connected to the load side of that disconnect. Is "meter disconnect" defined in the code?

Status
Not open for further replies.