GFCIs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwoodson

I had a question from a client that I could not find an answer for. It seems an owner is requiring the contractor to plug his portable GFCI into a GFCI protected receptacle. The contractor says that when he does this, his GFCI activates. Any information would be of help, i.e., anyone ever hear of this practice? What would cause the 2nd GFCI to activate?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: GFCIs

A gfci measures the current leaving and returing. If its within 4-6 mA it won't trip. If not, then it will. I don't see why the second GFCI is tripping. What is plugged into it?

hurk27

Plugging one GFCI into another should not trip his GFCI unless he is hitting the test button while plugging it in, the test button just connects the load hot to the line neutral via a small resistor, which will not trip the first unit but will trip the second one.
There could be some leakage in the portable GFCI set or a bad cord set or load connected to it. I know a three light plug in tester will trip both units, but not pushing the test button on the GFCI.

Here is a good article about GFCI's and how they work: GFCI's by Sam Goldwasser for Code Check

It should give you some incite on how they function.

celtic

I have seen 2 GFCI's trip....it is usually attributed to an OLD GFCI. I have no concrete explanation as to "why", and it doesn't happen with every (old) GFCIs.

Status
Not open for further replies.