Fire Pump alternate source

Status
Not open for further replies.

dholbrook

Can a fire pump emergency feed be from a natural gas generator? Most in our office say it has to be diesel, but I cannot find that reference.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Fire Pump alternate source

If you look at 695.3, it says "electric motor driven fire pumps shall have a reliable source of power."

I think only your AHJ can determine what is considered reliable. (I don't know if you are talking about a small building, or a high rise. I would think the AHJ may have a stricter definition of reliable for a high rise). But I think it is possible that just the utility service may be considered "reliable" (especially for a small building). In that case, you may not even need an emergency generator.

On the other hand, if there is an existing generator, I would think that would make the supply to the generator even more reliable. And if the existing generator is natural gas, so be it.

lile001

Re: Fire Pump alternate source

My local AHJ will accept a separate feed from the utility transformer as a "reliable source of supply" as long as the separate feeder is in concrete ductbank. This is on a smallish building, the story might be different on a high rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.