New ACCEPTED 2011 proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading mikes newsletter on the 2011 ACCEPTED proposals. Am I to understand this is what has ALREADY PASSED to be in the 2011 NEC?? Are they going to be making Tamper resistant, gfci, AFCI, weather resistant receptacles NOW??? Wow a super protected receptacle.

Just thinking about those old 2 prong receptacles that have no grounding in the box. No you have to have a AFCI, GFCI(since no ground), TR receptacle. I wonder how much is that going to cost??

I did not like the expansion of the AFCI requirment in the 2008, now they are going even futher. Im glad my area did LIMIT the expansion of AFCI.

480sparky

I was reading mikes newsletter on the 2011 ACCEPTED proposals. Am I to understand this is what has ALREADY PASSED to be in the 2011 NEC?? Are they going to be making Tamper resistant, gfci, AFCI, weather resistant receptacles NOW??? Wow a super protected receptacle.

Just thinking about those old 2 prong receptacles that have no grounding in the box. No you have to have a AFCI, GFCI(since no ground), TR receptacle. I wonder how much is that going to cost??

I did not like the expansion of the AFCI requirment in the 2008, now they are going even futher. Im glad my area did LIMIT the expansion of AFCI.

Yes, the 2011 is pretty much already written. 2011 ROP.

cadpoint

So has anyone seen a AFCI, TR, GFCI receptacle yet?? How about just a AFCI, TR, receptacle (Leave out the gfci).

I just dont like the idea of them requiring things that are not even invented yet.

It'll be a AFCI breaker for a while, and a TR or a TR-GFCI receptacles... and yes, I've seen those! :D

No, I haven't seen all those things

Last edited:

480sparky

It'll be a AFCI breaker for a while, and a TR or a TR-GFCI receptacles... and yes, I've seen those! :D

If you mean you've seen at TR GFI recep, I think most of us have already. But have you seen a TR-AFCI recep, or a GFCI/AFCI recep? Or (ka-ching!) an AFCI/GFCI-TR recep?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I... But have you seen a TR-AFCI recep, or a GFCI/AFCI recep? Or (ka-ching!) an AFCI/GFCI-TR recep?
Those items are not required by the new code proposals. The use of an AFCI receptacle is permitted by the 2008 code and will be permitted by the 2011 code, but they are not required. The code is being written, in this case, to permit the use of these items if they are ever made.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

I was reading mikes newsletter on the 2011 ACCEPTED proposals. Am I to understand this is what has ALREADY PASSED to be in the 2011 NEC? . . .
The proposal period has been completed and the comment period is under way. The deadline for comments is Friday 10/23/2009 at 5:00 PM EDT. The code making panels will meet again in Redondo Beach for the acceptance or rejections of the comments. The NFPA Annual Meeting will take place in June of 2010 and the 2011 NEC will be passed at that meeting. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.