Fire Alarm

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox39

When installing a open cable fire alarm, are boxes required for mounting devices such as pull stations, bells, horn/strobes. Also, when mounting detectors to a drop cieling, are boxes and support brackets required or can they just be mounted to the cieling tiles themselves? This is in a commercial application.

bphgravity

Re: Fire Alarm

Review Article 760 of the NEC.

760.25 requires NPLFA wiring to meet the requirements 300.15, thus requiring a box.

PLFA terminations must also be in a box per 300.15(B) unless 300.15(E) can be met.

Also check for manufacturers speciifactions. I would not mount a smoke detector/alarm to a ceiling tile.

ron

I would agree. 300.15 makes it almost an absolute requirement to have a box for every device, as 300.15(E) is almost impossible to meet for a smoke detector, pull station, horn/speaker/strobe, etc.

On the other hand, I've heard of some folks getting away without a box, because the AHJ (fire Marshall or sub-code official) that checks smoke detectors doesn't own an NEC and doesn't know better.

[ August 28, 2004, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: ron ]

fyretek

ALL FIRE ALARM DEVICES MUST BE IN A BACK BOX.....AND NOT THOSE CHEESEY PLASTIC CARLETON ONES EITHER!!! JUST REMEMBER THIS----- A FIRE ALARM DEVICE IS CONSIDERED JUST THE SAME AS AN ELECTRICAL DEVICE...WOULD YOU CHEESE DICK A LIGHT SWITCH TO WALL? OR TOGGLE BOLT A OUTLET TO THE CELING? NO YOU WOULDN'T. RULE OF THUMB...ALWAYS USE A BOX.

iwire

Staff member

fyretek, your posts will be better if you do not use all capitols, that is considered shouting.

AND NOT THOSE CHEESEY PLASTIC CARLETON ONES EITHER!!!
Do you have a code reference to prohibit plastic boxes for fire alarm devices?

fyretek

Hi, sorry cap lok was stuck on for a bit. or i could just be a loud mouth type of guy lol......as far as a code reference to the plastic boxes....i know it's in NEC not to use plastic in the celing, not sure the exact reference, besides that in the old days we used to use plastic everywhere, it was quick and easy. but now i look at the professionalism of plastic and it's not there. metal boxes work best for 2 reasons, 1. they contain the device better, properly mounted the wont fall out, 2. u can use conduit in them in need be. besides any real electrician would not use plastic on fire it's just not done...ethic's u know...I'm a low voltage guy but live by the rules of the old timer's.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Frytek,
i know it's in NEC not to use plastic in the celing,
wrong. There is nothing in the NEC that prohibits a nonmetalic box in a ceiling.

You may need to buy a code book if you are trying to use it for back up.

A listed nonmetalic box can even be used in up to two hr rated walls.

besides any real electrician would not use plastic on fire it's just not done...ethic's u know...
You might want to rethink this statement.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.