Security Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

heatelec

I am an electrical contractor in Texas and I am trying to find out where to get information or training on security system installation, monitoring, and troubleshooting.

gndrod

Re: Security Systems

I hate it when answers don't get questioned and even more so when questions don't get answers. You may look up Ademco fire and security on the Internet. They are the largest in that industry since I can remember. Ademco is a subsidiary of Honeywell who happens to be the giant in the high rise fire control. Check for training and seminars reference section. Western Fire and Safety, ADT, etc. use Ademco equipment. It is a lucrative but highly guarded select group industry.

rbj, Seattle

frankc

Having done fire and burg systems for about 20 years, I can tell you that security is more involved. Fire is spelled out, to a degree, with the codes, and the AHJ. Security is pretty wide open, until you get to military bases and high security level stuff. One job a friend of mine worked on was high security telcom. The circuits were run in rigid,and each joint had to welded,yes,welded. The other end of the spectrum is taking some 22/4, tying a rock to it, and launching that across a hung ceiling to a motion sensor at the other end.
Companies like ADEMCO are good,as are a lot of websites. Most security circuits are normally closed. When a system is armed, sloppy wiring can cause opens, which send a panel in to alarm, cause the cops to roll, and generally cause irritation. Good clean wiring, and attention to the details counts here too. The other problem with security is the human interface."I forgot my passcode","what time does the thing arm?" etc,etc.
There is a lot of work getting people trained.
One thing you'll find is that the newer panels have a ton of features-addressable backbones, Internet monitoring,X-10 interface,wireless devices, on spread spectrum RF, that actually work.
Search the internet-there's a lot to learn. This stuff ties into the home automation thing and can monitor things like freezers,pumps, generators, etc.

jrdsg

sia [security industry association] offers training courses etc. www.siaonline.org. they are also a good contact point for member vendors that offer product-specific training.

pelco has a great cctv training program for instance. www.pelco.com.

one caveat: there's a world of difference between knowing how to hook up a gadget like an alarm system or a camera and knowing anything about security assessment and system planning even for residential applications. vendor training is great on the technical side but non-existent on the other side.

like dirty harry says, "a man's got to know his limitations." :) baby steps.

one other thing: the security busines is 24/7. if you don't want late-night phone calls and call-outs you might want to think about diversifying into rebar or drywall instead of security. take it from a veteran.

[ January 07, 2005, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: jrdsg ]

CCTVguy

security system installation

security system installation

Hello heatelec

I Work for Ascendent Technology Group we are a DVR and CCTV manufacture in United States in Canada.
There are many people who are electrical contractors who are looking to add CCTV. CCTV is Closed Circuit Television. The Security industry is moving away from alarms and towards Video surveillance. MY company was started by a x electrical contractor and we know and understand the market and can help you incorporate CCTV and security products into your company,

My company sells to PSA ADI and allot of ADT, dealers and installers.

If you are interested in starting or adding CCTV products to your company we would like to work with you and help you start or help you decide whether you want install CCTV and security products.

(Contact information deleted) - Please contact member via PM for contact information.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me or post your question here.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
how come my posts don't show up ?
The first posts of all new members are subject to approval before they are seen by all members.

Consider yourself warned, that if your only reason for posting here is solicitation, your membership will likely end.

I have approved your posts in good faith, please do not abuse the forum. :)

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
ADI, which sells Ademco/Honeywell, sponsors Tech Expos around the country. Google ADI tech expos, I am attending one later in may it looks like a great offering of products and seminars.

CCTVguy

Cctv

Cctv

Default Security systems
Sorry about my post i did not know It was not able to give contact information, and thank you for your patience.

your right Tom , ADI, sponsors some great Tech Expos. Though I don't recommend them for products, because as you mentioned they sell Ademco/Honeywell which are fairly good products but because of how ADI sets up there distribution there's no money in retail because off of online stores the public can buy the same camera's for about what you will end up paying for them. Me and my company used to sell to ADI/PSA and I know how there distribution works and they wont touch any product that they cant sell for 3x what it costs them. Because of this they usually sell cheaper products so they can compete and still maintain there profit margins. But there Seminars are very good for basic training and to see if you are interested in entering this market. Also they are very good for alarms but not CCTV. Also I encourage people to go the CIS show if they can this year.IF your are considering adding CCTV I suggest you visit these websites they will explain the deferent types of cameras and terms. Remember when looking for products to carry you should decide whether you want to buy cheap products online and do tech support yourself or buy from a company who will offer tech support to your customers. If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.

http://www.securitycams101.com/index.htm
http://www.prosecuritywarehouse.com/....html#glossary

Status
Not open for further replies.