AEgis Security System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyon ehave any experience with Pach & Company's Aegis series access control units?
I just installed a few, and have encountered just about every problem imaginable. The installations were done to manufacturers' specs, I even had a tech fly out from California, he was just as stumped as I. I was just looking for some feedback, thanks.

jrdsg

Re: AEgis Security System

i have installed these and formerly worked for a supplier selling them to installers. what kind of trouble are you experiencing?

is your system tel only or does it include readers?

phone bill or no phone bill?

Well, specifically, there were too many problems to list them all, but a brief summary would go like this..
1)There were hardware issues such as missing resistors on the circuit boards (remote reader interface).
2) Some Aegis 9000 units had an integrated ground terminal that was bonded to the backbox, some did not. This could only be seen by removing the main board, so there were issues related to poor grounding.
3}Both Aegis 9000 and Scr9 remote card readers were shipped with mmalfunctioning card reader devices.
4) In exterior applications, supply voltage was insufficient to power the recommended LCD heater.
5)Repeated but inconsistent problems with the systems' modem.
6)Rmote card readers freezing in the "unlock" state.
So on and so forth.
After a year of problems, we have decided to change the entire system(15 buildings) for something more reliable. It would seem there are still major engineering flaws in this system. For example, why are there so many different power supplies necessary? 12VAC for Aegis, 24VDC for door strikes, separate 12VAC for LCD heater, 12VDC for pinhole camera!
Thanks for the input.
To answer your question the phone numbers associated with the units are billed to the property managers, why do you ask?

jrdsg

sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

"After a year of problems, we have decided to change the entire system(15 buildings) for something more reliable. It would seem there are still major engineering flaws in this system. For example, why are there so many different power supplies necessary? 12VAC for Aegis, 24VDC for door strikes, separate 12VAC for LCD heater, 12VDC for pinhole camera!"

This is not uncommon in the low-voltage world. Door strikes are often a long way from the power supply, and thus the higher 24VDC spec helps to move the power further. Pinhole cameras are all DC, since they are generally constructed too small to include their own ac/dc power supply. Since it is impossible for the manufacturer of the access system to know what voltage you are going to use for each application they leave it for you to source the appropriate power supply.

I can't comment on the build quality of your access systems or the problems with the reader section since my experience is limited to the visitor entry panel systems without integrated access control. Those were generally reliable and the support from the manufacturer was ok.

My question about the Bill/No Bill system had to do with whether you were using a line-seizure relay system to use each suite's line to ring the phones or whether the systems dialed out on their own line. This is the major difference between visitor entry systems.

If you have already decided to replace the system this ship may have sailed, but you might consider leaving the visitor entry panels in place and adding a separate cardreader system to give you better performance and flexibility. You can probably reuse the existing cardreaders and other peripherals on a new system.

Post back if you would like to chat about it further or contact me by private email.

[ July 05, 2004, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: jrdsg ]

Status
Not open for further replies.