Mini breaker fuses, how are they??

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

They have been around for more than 20 years, maybe 30.
Id feel safe sticking to 20... But the problem is if it trips a few tims the HO decides a 30A fuse is better - often at the advice of some fool... IMO S type rejectors are better, and once they are in - you're not getting it out to use this fuse/CB... Or at least without some difficulty...

u582724.jpg

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Does look like a handy way to insert a breaker into a temporary test setup.
Anybody have a link to the data sheet/time curves? I searched in vain.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
They have been around for more than 20 years, maybe 30.
I saw either this or something similar in the mid-70's, before I started doing electrical work. After that I never saw them again until around 5 years ago. I bought some to keep on truck, knew I'd wished I'd had them many times, knew I'd use them a lot while troubleshooting. I haven't needed one since.

Buck Parrish

I picked up a 'mini breaker fuse' made by copper bussmann has anyone ever tried these and how do you feel about them?? I thought maybe I would help a friend out by saving a few bucks by not haveing to keep buying fuses in the future, at least until the money comes in for the panel to be swapped out.

http://www.hardwareandtools.com/invt/6417430

If he's blowing that many fuses. He needs another circuit or two. Not just a new panel. If the breaker trips to often it may quit working. Then the wires could get very hot or worse.

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Have used them in the past, have not seen technical data for them.

But, I think if your friend has repeated tripping problems, a new panel isn't going to help, until you run some new circuits back to that new panel. ;)

flashlight

Occupation
Actually, I prefer using a medium-wattage bulb, either in the fuse-holder, or in a rubber socket in line with the fuse or breaker.

I never heard of that one-- that will "trip" at the amperage associated with
the wattage of the bulb ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've done that a few times too. I don't seem to be running across as many fuse boxes lately.
It works just as well with breakers. The idea is that it's easy for the eyes to detect a change in brightness, and makes looking for an intermittent short faster.

One person watches the light, while the other wiggles the suspect devices, etc. You can even bring the light to the work area with a cord if you're working alone.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I never heard of that one-- that will "trip" at the amperage associated with
the wattage of the bulb ?
No, the bulb works as a current limiter. The breaker will never trip since the bulb's current is the max that can flow, and that's with a direct short downstream.

It's the same as using a solenoid tester to test for a blown fuse by reading across each fuse (with load(s) connected). The tester limits current to its own level.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
never done that thing with the bulb - what size bulb do you use ?
Anything, really. A 100w is more than enough to expose both shorts across the circuit and series intermittents, the latter requiring a load on the circuit, of course.

flashlight

Occupation
I remember now, about 25 years ago this old-timer used 2 100 W bulbs in series as a voltage tester.. if they glowed dimly, it was 110 or thereabouts, if they glowed brightly it was 220.

Status
Not open for further replies.