Can AFCI's replace GFCI's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger

I read somewhere that internally an AFCI has a built in toroidal transformer just like a GFCI.A customer with an old two wire system house wanted to change his receptacle outlets to 3 prong.I thought that maybe for the bedrooms we could install AFCI circuit breakers,thus bringing them into code compliance for arc fault requirements as well as a legal replacement for his two prong receptacle outlets.I could not find anything in either the 2002 or the 99 code to support this though.Anyone else ever run into this situation before?Ranger :eek:

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Can AFCI's replace GFCI's?

Standard AFCI breakers do not have GFCI protection. They do have ground fault protection that functions like a GFCI but the GFP is set to trip somewhere around 30-50ma. Cutler-Hammer does make a combination AFCI/GFCI breaker but I don't how available it is or if any other manufactures are making such a breaker.

ranger

Thanks Curt for the reply.I have to concur with you because a standard GFCI is set to open between 5 to 7 milliamperes.The problem was for me that i have not seen much documentation available from the manufacturers of these devices.I think i got my info from Square D.In fact i don't think many electricians{at least the ones i know,know how these AFCI's work.I have this theory that to the manufacturers it is a "Trade secret".It is good news however that CH is making a combo device.I guess i will have to wait and see how this all plays out.Thanks Ranger ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

If there is a smoke detector on these existing circuits, the AFCI/GFCI can not be used without running a new, or tapping into another circuit for the smoke detector.

Roger

Roger
In washington state the smokies need to be on the arc faults ! the way the code reads is any outlet in the bedrooms not just recepticales
the only city the doesnt alow that is seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.