Escalator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
The recent incident of a escalator with a mind of it's own, taking off and trashing the riders, does anyone on this forum, work on these drive motors?

I am curious about the speed control.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Escalator

Bennie, I have never worked on an escalator but I'm curious to your reference to the recent mishap.

I know I'm sheltered but what was this about?

Roger

bennie

Esteemed Member

Roger: It just happened today, I think. The escalator took off at a high speed dumping and injuring 35 people.

gwz2

Sounds to me that either the electrical/electronic braking did not work or the a mechanical mishap such as a shaft key on a drive sheared and the weight of all the people just kept the moving stairs moving down hill.

Just Guessing. (SWAG)

iwire

Staff member

I read an article in the Boston Globe years ago about elevator and escalator accidents.

According to the article a problem with escalators is they are not counter balanced like an elevator is, so the drive line (gear box, chains, brakes and motor) hold all the weight of the riders.

Any mechanical break in the drive line and the escalator free falls from the weight of the passengers.

Think of 75 people at an average of 150 lbs that would be 11,250 pounds, this would move the escalator pretty quickly.

Unless these folks where tossed off at the top of the stairs I think a mechanical problem is more likely than a malfunctioning speed control.

Personally I would be surprised if many escalators have motor speed controls, why would you need to adjust speed, set the gearing up right and run the motor at full speed.

The press is reporting that the escalator had "a mind of it's own" that is more dramatic then saying it broke.

iwire

Staff member

Bennie and Roger the accident happend Wednesday at Coors field in Denver.

Here is a story about it from AP.

City, Rockies look for cause of escalator accident at stadium

By Judith Kohler, Associated Press, 7/3/2003 23:24

DENVER (AP) The Colorado Rockies shut down all the escalators at Coors Field on Thursday, one of the busiest days of the season, while engineers tried to find what caused one of the moving staircases to hurl dozens of terrified fans on top of each other.

Rockies spokesman Jay Alves said 23 people were treated and released from area hospitals. Nine remained hospitalized, none were critically injured but their conditions were not released.

The team went forward with Thursday's game against Arizona and another fireworks show, typically a big draw.

On Wednesday, there was a near-capacity crowd of 47,032, the largest since opening day.

''We felt like we were going to die and it was primarily from being crushed,'' said Greg Strayer, who was on the three-story-tall escalator when it suddenly sped up while carrying fans down from the upper deck after Wednesday night's game and fireworks show.

Strayer's wife and 16-year-old daughter were left with broken ankles and deep cuts; both underwent surgeries and could face more.

''I just thank God we're alive,'' said Strayer, who was bruised from his fall. ''I don't think the anger has set in yet.''

The Rockies also disclosed that 12 people were injured when another escalator at the stadium abruptly stopped May 24. Alves said people had minor injuries, including cuts and bruises.

Assistant Fire Chief Larry Trujillo said he didn't know about that incident until Thursday. He said the fire department, responsible for building inspections, didn't investigate it.

The cause of both escalator problems remained unknown Thursday.

City inspectors and representatives of Kone Corp. were examining all the escalators. Kone, a global company with its U.S. headquarters in Moline, Ill., said it acquired the company that built the escalators.

Chuck Moore, a senior vice president with Kone, said the company was trying to determine what happened. ''Once we do know, we will comment,'' he said.

Kone also services an escalator at the Dallas Convention Center that suddenly accelerated last week, thrusting a number of riders into a pile at the bottom but causing no significant injuries, KDFW-TV in Dallas reported. The escalator was taken out of service but the cause of the malfunction hadn't been determined.

Rockies officials said they were trying to piece together what happened after Wednesday's game and fireworks display.

Witnesses and victims said the escalator suddenly accelerated and people lost their balance and toppled forward.

''People were just sliding down like an avalanche,'' witness Nick Nossinger said.

Rockies officials said they had not confirmed whether the escalator sped up, stopped suddenly or was overloaded. A city official said overloading was one possibility under consideration.

''Some of the anecdotal evidence we've heard from people on the scene might lead one to believe it was overloaded,'' said Julius Zsako, a spokesman for Denver Community Planning and Development, which oversees escalator inspections.

Zsako said the escalator was inspected in late June and no problems were found.

Kevin Kahn, vice president of ballpark operations, said employees are posted at the top and bottom of each escalator. He said one of the two people at the top of the escalator was temporarily distracted by an incident in the crowd, but he had not talked to the employee.

''Our No. 1 concern is for our guests that were injured last night, their families and friends with them,'' said Keli McGregor, Rockies president. He said team representatives had gone to all the hospitals to offer support.

Associated Press Writer Jon Sarche contributed to this story.

[ July 04, 2003, 07:11 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

gwz2

Just guessing again.

If the problem was mechcanical, seems that a speed governor (centrifical device) could apply a mechanical (slow-down) brake.

Of course, That would add cost!

Status
Not open for further replies.