Whatsit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattus

Who can identify this tool? It has some sort of stripper at one end and a wire cutter and crimping jaws between the handles. It is branded with "K. Y. P."

10080001.jpg

peter d

Re: Whatsit?

It looks like one of those automatic wire strippers. I found a similar one in my dad's toolbox and tried it out once, but it was horrible and I never used it again. I think it was made in Germany.

rattus

Could be Peter. One set of jaws grips the wire, and the other set has straight, shallow blades which must pinch and pull the insulation off. I was thinking it might be for some sort of flat cable, but the crimp jaws are more or less standard.

rattus

Peter, I think it is a one size fits all stripper. It works OK on stranded wire and will even strip both wires of zip cord and speaker wire at once. Didn't try it on solid wire, and I wouldn't expect it work on larger wires either.

Fellow gave it to me along with a Greenlee modular plug crimper which I need about once a year.

peter d

Yup, I think you nailed it Rattus. I couldn't think of it last night. It's a self-adjusting automatic wire stipper, and as I found out it does quite a number on solid wire. :eek:

rattus

Although it seems to work fairly well, it does nick the wire a bit. Would not use it on first class work.

Well, the price was right!

MJJBEE

This is a tool used for putting a connector on cat-5 comunication cable. It strips the wire then crimps on the connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.