GFCI and Receptacle Circuit Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsva@aol.com

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good GFCI and Receptacle Circuit Tester. I am the kind of person who only likes to buy a tool once, so I don't mind paying more if the quality and durability is the reason for the cost difference.

dcsva@aol.com

Re: GFCI and Receptacle Circuit Testers

A unit that will plug into and test a GFCI receptacle or a receptacle that is protected by a GFCI breaker. Also it would be nice if it checked standard grounded outlets for proper wiring (ie. open ground, open neutral, conductors reversed etc.)

flightline

This is the Tasco USA Inspector 2 that I use when making my inspections for my town. It does, not only GFCI testing but voltage drop simulation, and a number of other tests. It is one of the few that is actually UL listed, I'm told. It's expensive, but, as with any tool that I buy, worth it's cost. When I purchased it, I called the company, and got a 30 day free trial. A friend that is a home inspector turned me on to it. As an aside, they also make a new AFCI Tester under the same program.

bennie

Esteemed Member

I use a nine dollar Ideal GFCI tester. I had a 300 dollar tester, that smoked when I plugged it into an open neutral.

karl riley

I used to use the Tasco, which is good, but now I prefer the SureTest Circuit Analyzer. It plugs into the receptacle and scrolls through everything you want to know (and tests the GFI and gives you the ma reading of when it tripped). It will tell you the resistance of each conductor in the circuit, the voltage drop % at 15 and 20 A, and if the circuit is in use, it will tell you the % of harmonics altheway up to the 15th. Amazing instrument. It cannot damage anything plugged in since it works by injecting small electronic signals. Expensive but worthwhile to me.
Karl

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Bennie have you noticed that with the ideal tester
an open neutral reads as hot ground reversed....I have several plug testers and use the ideal over others,it is very easy to read in bright lighted rooms.Besides if lost i would rather replace a $7.00 tester than an expensive one.

bennie

Esteemed Member

a.wayne: My ideal tester is wired as follows...

With ground facing down, and away.

Left light is across L and G.

Center light is across N and G.

Right light across L and N.

Right light on when neutral is open.

Center and right light on when L and G reversed.

The circuit prevents false reading, on this model No. 656-1.

[ July 21, 2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

I like Ideal

I can remember Bennie or someone a while back posting the logic for one of these testers....Ha Gees that was a while ago though maybe a year or two.

BAHTAH

Ideal has a new tester on the market called the "SureTest" w/AFCI. This unit has some good features like testing for voltage drop based on 12,15 and 20amp loads which is great for checking branch circuits in manufacturing facilities. I like it especially when a customer has an emergency generator at their residence because the tester also checks frequency, true RMS, line and peak voltage, ground impedance,GFCI,AFCI and a few other things. You should be able to get one for around $195.00.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO

The Suretest is good. It does have it's faults.
I too close to the panel the GFCI feature will not work. If too close to the panel you will read a false ground.

Mike P.

Status
Not open for further replies.