metal box on cord end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskiedog

I have a shop that is making there own extension cords with a metal recepatacle box. I believe this is not allowed but can not find it specifically in the code. My concern is that it is used in a potential wet environment and they are arguing that it is grounded so it is fine.

Any help here?

triphase

Re: metal box on cord end.

Muskie what type of cord are they using? Weather proof box? Strain relief(Kellums)type of connectors? GFCI?....etc. Just asking.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Is your concern how the cord is connected? Or, if the extension cord meets OSHA rules? Or, just that you don't thin k metal and wet are compatible?

Personally I would spend the money on boxes designed for cord ends from manufactures like Woodhead and Hubbell.

The NEC doesn't really cover the construction of "extension cords", however these sections may be applicable for your situation.
314.23(H)(1)

triphase

Muskie, Jim has it. Also, wanted to make sure these were not a "power drop" type of cord and I am not trying to read between the lines. The reason I asked some one the other day called a power drop, SO drop, etc. an extension cord.

raider1

Staff member

I agree with jim and triphase,

It seems to me that they are trying to use a standard 4 square box on a piece of SO cord as an extension cord. If this is the case I would be concerned with the knockouts in the 4 square box possibly being pushed in and making contact with live parts within the 4 square box.

I have seen these kind of "extension cords" used before and have never like them, there is to many inherent problems with a set up like this.

Chris

dlhoule

It's too bad they don't make a GFCI for the plugs. It would be kind of nice if most plugs were also GFCIs. That way a lot of potential hazards could be avoided. :D :D ;)

allenwayne

I believe that this would be an OSHA issue.If used in new construction weatherproof,GFCI protection would be required as well as they would not be UL listed for this type of box.
One of our builders a nationwide builder has safety personell that go from site to site to ensure that hard hats are worn,ladders are up to par etc.They would simply unplug them and cut the box off the cord or you could just roll up and get off the job if you would prefer.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Actually the GFCI for an extension cord "should be" in the plug not the receptacle. This way it is much easier to conform with the OSHA (?)requirement for manual reset on loss of power and to reduce the potential for incorrect polarity.

There are many manufacturers of these GFCI plugs, TRC and Hubbell come to mind right away

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

A 4 Sor Bell box is listed for attachment to wall or surface. Using on a cord will result in an OSHA citation as its unsafe/
And installing a GFCI in metal box on the cord is not allowed as if the GFCI is reverse wired, it will still work, but when the trips the neutral will be hot. A listed portable GFCI has two pole relay and has to be manually reset when it loses power.
(new style GFCI's can't be miswired)

induster

if the GFCI is reverse wired, it will still work, but when the trips the neutral will be hot.
can you expand on this? the difference between the GFCI being installed in the metal box compared to plastic? I don't understand...

Status
Not open for further replies.