Define Industrial installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Article 240.21(C)(3)
Typically I stay within the 10' rule in 240.21(C)(2), but what is to stop me from going 25' before the OCPD for transformer secondary conductors in a non-dwelling unit, maybe a commercial building?
There doesn't appear to be a definition of industrial installation. The International Building Code includes most industrial occupancies within the Group B definition.
What kind of experiences have you folks had when going past 10' with the secondary conductors in a commercial building that has Maintenance Personnel (not electricians)?

[ October 18, 2005, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: ron ]

Wes G

Re: Define Industrial installation

Originally posted by ron:
Article 240.21(C)(3)
Typically I stay within the 10' rule in 240.21(C)(2), but what is to stop me from going 25' before the OCPD for transformer secondary conductors in a non-dwelling unit, maybe a commercial building?
There doesn't appear to be a definition of industrial installation.
Your code section for commercial installations is 240.21(C)(3). As I see it this has you covered. (2005 code) :D

Goodland, KS

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I've never seen a better way to distinguish commercial from industrial. Thanks, Wes.

jwelectric

If I might be allowed to add to this industrial definition I think I have a way to always know for sure.

When referring to a residential surrounding it is pretty simple to distinguish the difference between it and commercial, and industrial.

Some times we have a hard time distinguishing the difference between the commercial and industrial. I have a simple way to distinguish between the two and have found that it works most of the time. First I ask when and where am I going to be doing or having it done. Second I ask how much does it pay or cost.

As commercial is concerned it will all depend on when it is being run and what is running it. The newspaper is the cheapest that I have found with radio coming in second. Now if you decide to go to television I would recommend to stay away from sporting events such as the Super Bowl and World Series as these can be very expensive.

Industrial on the other hand is very easy. 100 years ago the cowboys would drive cattle to marker. There was always a couple of these men that had to ride in the in the back or in-dust-trail to keep the cattle moving forward.

Now we know that commercial is what we see in the newspaper, hear on the radio or watch on TV and industrial means that you are breathing a lot of dust.

Any more questions?
:D

ron

Wes, considering your definition:
This site is a brokerage trading house. Since it doesn't processes or manufacture a product, it is not industrial, so I am limited to 10' or have to go through the exercises of 240.21(C)(6) calculations.

Wes G

Originally posted by ron:
Wes, considering your definition:
This site is a brokerage trading house. Since it doesn't processes or manufacture a product, it is not industrial, so I am limited to 10' or have to go through the exercises of 240.21(C)(6) calculations.
If you don't want to do the figures, you can fuse the transformer secondary as per 240.21 and T 450.3(B).

However the math is not hard to do. Lets say you have a single phase transformer with 13800V on your primary and you are fused at 15A on the primary. Say output is 240V And you are feeding a 200A main. Your ratio primary to secondary is 15.8:1. 15.8 X 5 (1/3 of 15)= 79A as the minimum ampacity of the wire. obviously, if you are feeding a 200A service you will be well over that minimum and OK. ;)

Wes G

Originally posted by sandsnow:
240.21(C)(6) makes that 10' rule obsolete (when you meet the conditions) in a commercial occupancy
Thanks for the correction, Larry. I did a typo! :eek: Wes

Status
Not open for further replies.