Required outlets in commercial office

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NEC has specific provisions for required outlets for dwelling units, but I've never been able to find any requirements for commercial office areas. We have a small project adding some partition walls to separate a large office area into smaller offices. These offices will have the typical desk arrangements with a computer, individual reading lamp, etc.

The desks are not located yet, and even if they were, could certainly be rearanged in the future. I can place outlets in (what seems to me) reasonable locations, but I want to verify there are no Code requirements that specify maximum distances such receptacles will be located. Any help?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Required outlets in commercial office

No, there are no requirements for commercial spaces. Put as many or as few wherever you want.

Add: Except for GFI's in the break room sink area and the required receptacles in mechanical rooms.

[ November 03, 2003, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: hbiss ]

I've never understood why there are no requirements for this. It was once explained to me that one reason for all the requirements for spacing of receptacles in dwelling units was to prevent excessive reliance on extension cords and the resultant danger of frayed cords or tripping hazards.

I have always accepted this as valid reasoning. However, it seems the same reasoning would apply for offices. It just seemed like a big void in the Code to not mention offices at all.

earlydean

Check out 250.50 (B). It requires a receptacle outlet whereever flexible cords with attachment plugs are used. Seems to me that covers your office.

[ November 03, 2003, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: earlydean ]

G

One thing about office space is they're always subject to ongoing tenant improvements. The tenant knows how many receptacle outlets they need. Putting them all over the place does them no good and wastes their money. The next tenant is going to tear it all down anyway. There's no need to get carried away, the tenant will design the receptacle grid to suite their needs.

No matter how many or how few you put in it won't be enough or helpful to future tenants. Just don't overload the circuits for the first tenant!

That's my $0.02. Your mileage may vary. Happy trails :)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by pierre: GFCI receptacles are not required for the break room sink location. see 210.8(B)(1)Bathrooms (2) Rooftops (3) Kitchens.
Rules specific to the local jurisdiction might come into play here. In Washington State, the break room would be considered a ?kitchen,? if it included a microwave, a coffee service, or any other device for preparing or serving food.

iwire

Staff member

Earl you may have a typo I checked 99 and 03 for 250.50 and find Grounding Electrode system.

[ November 03, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Well, "break rooms" around here (as you should know) often have microwaves, coffee makers, toaster ovens, pop corn makers, refrigerators and sometimes even regular ranges and ovens. All this with enough counter top and cabinets to choke Martha Stewart. Sounds like a kitchen to me even though in an office setting they are referred to as break rooms.

I would agree that a room with just a coffee maker and sink might not qualify though I always give them a GFI receptacle anyway.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Stevebrown: the nec is a minimum standard. What the NEC allows for the number of recep's on a commerical circuit is far more than you may want. You might be better off to allow 1/2 of the nec max, or 5-6 recept's per ckt.
Also run in EMT not AC or MC. Can add more ckts later.
AWWT had a good comment on why put then "all over the place", to expand this, I would suggest using a plasic base wireway, divided, for power and data. When you need a recep, you cut the cover, add one, can pull a new ckt if needed. Run all the way around the perimeter of the room. This way you only put them where needed.
Also look at the typcial office today and compare it to 10-15 years ago, who knows what we'll have in 10-15 years for office equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.