Hot tub GFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

squarenut

I'm wiring a hot tub for a buddy. The literature that came with the tub calls for a gfci circuit breaker as the disconnecting means and within 10ft but not less than 5ft, and within sight of the tub. This is all well and good, but why can't the gfci be installed at the circuit breaker panel in the basement of the dwelling and a non-fused disconnect be used within sight of the hot tub? The tub will be installed in a sun room built onto the house. The hottub requires a 50A breaker. If I install the gfci breaker as suggested, I still have to protect the branch circuit with a 50A non-gfci breaker at the panel.
This seems odd to me.

[ August 06, 2004, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: squarenut ]

jimwalker

Re: Hot tub GFCI

other than if it trips it is not handy, there would be no problem with it being at the panel.Read 680 before you start as several other items such as receptacles apply and keep in mind this is indoors and not commercial

[ August 06, 2004, 05:32 AM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

hurk27

The GFCI 50a breaker will kill both with one stone sort of speak. and if every thing is working correctly in the tub you will not have any nuisance tripping of the GFCI. The GFCI is both A Class A GFCI device and a 50 Amp breaker so a 60 amp pull-out disconnect at the tub will be code compliant. If you locate the GFCI device to the tub area then you also have to protect the feed with another 50 amp breaker which does not make to much sense, as this will add more cost that having to go the the basement to reset a GFCI which most likely tripped because of a fault anyway. I understand this with a whirlpool tub in a bathroom so I locate a bald face GFCI device on a wall about 3' away from the tub. at least it makes them get out of the tub to reset it, and the bald face GFCI device (they look like a regular receptacle GFCI but they don't have any receptacles to plug into) is also cheaper than a breaker GFCI.
So bottom line is convince is not always the best way to go unless the home owner is willing to pay extra for it.

squarenut

Thanks Boys for the insight. I'll go that route and put the breaker GFCI in the panel and mount a pull-out disconnect near the tub.

torint

"Hurk", I have been installing whirlpools the same way that you have. I have done this because I feel that it would be inconvenient for the customer to pull off any tub panels to re-set the GFCI receptacles. I use the "bald face" GFCI to control a regular single 20a receptacle that is accecible to the customer (not easily acceible, because its covered by the panel skirts). There is one thing that I have not really taken into account. You have a great idea of placeing the GFCI at least 3FT away, causing the customer to get out of the tub to re-set it. I have placed them where ever esstetically convenientl in the bathroom because it is a GFCI device and I felt that if it could be located next to a sink then it could be located next to a tub. But after reading your installation, I will now make sure that they are far enough away that the customer will have to exit the tub in order to re-set the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.