Sizing a service

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike abbott

I went through all the calculations for a small restaurant, similar to the calculations shown in appendix D, example D3 (even though the code example is for a store).

After adjusting the kitchen loads by a demand factor of 65%, my total 3-phase amperage is 183A.

Am I permitted to put this load on a 200A service with a 200A/3P main breaker? 200A seems reasonable since the calculations add 25% for continuous loads and for the largest motor. However, the idea of not loading a breaker more than 80% has me confused. Am I confusing code rules?

bphgravity

Re: Sizing a service

If you have taken the sum of the noncontinuous loads plus 125 percent of the continuous loads and came up with 183A, then 200A is perfectly fine for the size of the service. The 80% is already taken into account with the 125% increase of the continuous loading.

tdjs

Re: Sizing a service

What kind of lights would you use on a 18' flat ceiling in a 17'x19' great room with a ceiling fan on a 3' down rod centered in the room? 4 high wattage recess cans or track lights on the wall level with the fan? Their is only 2 walls to mount lights on,other 2 have windows and a staircase.

Status
Not open for further replies.