Southernboy's Bum

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Southernboys wrote in another thread:
Jim if I had the option I would not have hired this kid. However I do not own the company. So therefore Im doing everything I can to teach him but some guys you just cant teach. My pm is aware of this and I hope to see a new heloer today. Ill put it to you like this. I told him bend me a loop in the wire to go into a fan box. Staple it so I can pull slack in. He does that just fine however he leaves the wire out of the box. Whereas I was green when I first started out I was never complacent or lazy. So in youalls opinion what is the easiest way to deal with a situation like this one, Hate to threadfjack
This is really hard. When I started I know I was really bad for at least a month, and IMO, at least six months, and for some reason I held onto my job.

If somebody is lazy, that's a clue right there. If they don't care enough to try to impress on the first day, they should be history.

The chink in my armor is, if a guy has been around for a while, doesn't understand the job, but pulls rope in a decent time. When a guy is friendly, talks about their 2 kids with one on the way, how the wife had to quit her job in the third trimester, it gets difficult for me to send him to the shop and tell the boss, "This guy does not understand this job."

After six months (actually, more than that), if an apprentice turns to you and says, "The black from the two-wire is the common, right?" for the fourth time this week, he needs to go, IMO.

But I have a soft side that I really need to work on. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Southernboy's Bum

For common work, such as connecting receptacles, I have the helper watch me do one, then I watch him do one, then I come back to check his work after he does a couple without me looking.

For more involved work, I have the helper watch me work, but it's my responsibility to think out loud so he learns the details we do subconsiously. It's easy to forget our own learning curve.

I used to have the same problem with "nice guys" but after jobs coming in with less than anticipated profits, you need to learn to take a hard line with people who are only there for a check. It doesn't matter how "nice" the guy is, because when the job is complete, who's is responsible for bringing it in at a profit? The Foreman. Your name and reputation are at stake and you need to address the situation with your PM as soon as you think it may affect the outcome of the project. I used to work for a company who would never take advantage of the 90 day probationary period, and just tell you to keep pushing and teaching the guy and "he'll come around" next thing you know 90 days are up, and now you need a reason to let the "nice guy", who shows up everyday on time but isn't productive, go. Anymore I feel I can asses a persons' work ethic and determination within a week or two, and if I don't feel they will be productive on the project, I call the PM and have them removed. I think it is really important to educate the young up and comers, but only if the want it. Don't waste your time or money.

I worked for a company that created metrology equipement and for years we used to order the white colored glue sticks for the little handy craft glue guns we used to fix parts to the glass stage. One month they delivered a box of clear colored glue sticks.

About two months before the clear glue sticks incident we had hired a guy who interviewed very well but once on the job was a real "hold my hand or I wont get anything done" type. But my PM kept telling me "everyone has a hard time at first", "he'll catch on"...yadda yadda yadda...you know the type.

Then the clear colored glue sticks came in and the next morning I found them in the trash. After asking all around office why they would throw away three boxes of glue sticks I finally landed on the new guy.

His answer : they were empty.

--
Suffice to say, metrology was not for him. Just as electrical work is not for everyone. Probationary periods should be treated like a honeymoon. You only have 90 days to decide if you really want to spend the rest of you "life" with this person or if you accidentially rushed into things.

Also, for the "softies" remember; firing is the best thing for both parties. It helps you to eliminate dead weight and it helps them by giving them the opportunity to find a job they are truly well suited towards.

Status
Not open for further replies.