sump pumps in elevator pits

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnpike

California has been requiring that a sump and sump pump (or drain system) be installed in every new elevator pit. For several years now I have been requiring that the sump pump motor be plugging into the GFI protected outlet in the pit. I have several reasons why. 1. It serves as an immediate disconnect for the pump. 2. The motor is GFI protected. 3. The pump can be easily and safely serviced, repaired or replaced.
It came to my attention last week that I've been over ruled, the pump motor plug can be cut off by the electrician and wired directly into the outlet circuit. I need help to show that the pump shall be plugged into the outlet and not wired into the box.

Thanks,
Turnpike

stamcon

Re: sump pumps in elevator pits

Turnpike, are the cords/plugs factory attached to the pumps? If so, does the pump manufacturer approve of their product being modified? What is being used as a switch to turn the pumps on? Some pumps need the plug to provide a vent for the built-in pressure switch.

brandon

I agree with the last reply, if cuting off the cord end will destroy the UL listing for the product then it can not be installed. Destroy thte UL listing then u destroy the warranty on the product.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Staycom has good and often overlooked point. If a sump pump has a built in diaphram switch, it most likely has a small vent tube in the cord to vent one side of the diaphram to atmosphere. If the cord cap is cut off the listing is violated and the pump may not work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.