Chapter 9 Note 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vsullivan

Chapter 9 Note 1 states: "See Annex C for the maximum number of conductors and fixture wires, all of the same size (total cross-sectional area including insulation) permitted in trade sizes of the applicable conduit or tubing." Beneath the heading of Annex C, it states "This annex is not a part of the requirements of this NFPA document but is included for informational purposes only."
Is it appropriate for a licensing jurisdiction to test over the use of Annex C if the Annex itself clearly states it is for informational purposes only?

cpal

Re: Chapter 9 Note 1

What would be the harm, I think a licensing authority can establish what ever criteria it wishes to asses the competence of a candidate. If the information is available (assuming you have an open book test the tables are there with you. Does the jurisdiction you refer to have theory questions, formulas, etc???

If so do you have reference material with you or just a Code Book??

Just curious
Charlie

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

There are voltage drop questions on the CO journeyman's exam. Voltage drop isn't enforceable in code, but is still a valid component of the test. A J-man that compensates for voltage drop is better than one who doesn't, I guess. :)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Annex C is simply a shortcut to the maximum fill permitted by Chapter 9, Table 1. I would much rather look up the information in Annex C then have to do the long calculation, especially in a testing situation where there may be time constraints. You are correct that Annex C is for information only and not enforceable, but the requirement of Chapter 9, Table 1 are enforceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.