contractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cocodrilo

I am aware of bonding the neutral at the service or first means of disconnect, but I ecncountered a service 120/240 1 PH. Where from the load side of the meter box they split the feeders to two seperate MLO panels each feeding outdoor equipment and also feeding the homes interior sub-pnls. from there corresponding breakers.

There is no main disconnect or breaker, you have to remove the meter for the complete shut down, I am looking to correct the egc and the bonding at the two outdoor mlo's

currently they have the neutral bar isolated and they have landed the egc to the neutral
bars in both mlo's, the other thing they have done is they installed a #6 stranded (200 amp-service) bonding conductor to the grounding electrode and connected to the isolated neutral bar and from there they ran #6 str. to lugs mounted to the panels in order to bond everything. What is the rule when you do not have a first means of disconnect?

TNGuy81

How does that work.. There has to be a breaker somewhere for the main service. It could be inside the service entrance or at the panel itself, but there has to be something there. You didn't find any other boxes anywhere on the perimeter or the house?

cocodrilo

No main breaker , the meter is equipped with a disconnecting release handle, but that is all. The feeders go from the meter load side lugs to feed to main lug only panels.

cocodrilo

okay , I guess I confused my self the meter can is equipped with a means of disconnect is a type of disconnect and bypass switch, because you can still remain energize with the meter removed. so if this is the first means of disconnect? does that mean I have to isolate my neutrals from the egc at the two adjacent MLO panels and just bond the egc to the neutral in the meter can?

TNGuy81

Man i wish I could better help you out but Im still learning myself here man. You may want to hang out for one of these Master Electricians on here to give you better advice. Good luck to you though and welcome to the forum.

raider1

Staff member
I am aware of bonding the neutral at the service or first means of disconnect, but I ecncountered a service 120/240 1 PH. Where from the load side of the meter box they split the feeders to two seperate MLO panels each feeding outdoor equipment and also feeding the homes interior sub-pnls. from there corresponding breakers.

How many breakers are in each panel?

No main breaker , the meter is equipped with a disconnecting release handle, but that is all. The feeders go from the meter load side lugs to feed to main lug only panels.

That is a lever bypass and does not qualify as the service disconnecting means.

okay , I guess I confused my self the meter can is equipped with a means of disconnect is a type of disconnect and bypass switch, because you can still remain energize with the meter removed. so if this is the first means of disconnect? does that mean I have to isolate my neutrals from the egc at the two adjacent MLO panels and just bond the egc to the neutral in the meter can?

Again that would be a lever bypass and is sometimes required by the utility.

First are the 2 MLO panels grouped next to one another?

Second how many breakers are located in the 2 MLO panels?

Chris

raider1

Staff member
yes the two mlo's are on either side of the meter can and they are both 12 spc MLO's

there are 6 two pole breakers in each 12 spc MLO

Then you have a violation of 230.71 because you have more than 6 circuit breakers being used as the main disconnecting means.

You are going to have to install either a single main disconnecting means or a main breaker in each panel.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.