Water pipe bonding prior to 1970

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Re: Water pipe bonding prior to 1970

The supplemental electrode was required circa 1975. I don't have a clue about when the water pipe grounding connection was required but I believe it was circa 1910. I need help on both of those dates. :D

mdshunk

Related to water bonding, I've done a good many service changes in which the GEC was lead soldered to the incoming copper water line. Sometimes it was wrapped around the pipe a few times and soldered, and other times it was soldered straight down the side of the pipe for 3 or 4 inches. Has anyone else observed this old practice? Anyone know around what period in time this practice was in favor? I'd like to see a lightning strike hit one of these connections. I have a feeling it would only last a few milliseconds.

charlie

I have a feeling it would only last a few milliseconds.
That is a long time for a lightning stroke. Don't forget that the line has water in it to keep the temperature down.

This reminds me that you can take a paper cup full of water and set it in the coals of a campfire and boil the water. As the water boils out of the cup, the sides will burn away to keep the sides even with the water line. When it has boiled off the water, the bottom will burn.

Soldering went out of favor when knob and tube left us in favor of Type NM cable. We also saw a myriad of wire connectors that replaced the solder pot and soldering copper. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.