"unbalanced currents"

Status
Not open for further replies.

molsen

Looking for a definition of unbalanced currents as referenced in NEC "310.15(B)(4)(a)" along with a diagram. My web search has given me conflicting results.

M. Olsen

Ed MacLaren

Re: "unbalanced currents"

I'm not familiar with that rule, but if you are referring to unbalanced load current in a multi-wire circuit, it is the current in the neutral wire, and is calculated as the difference between the currents in the ungrounded conductors.

In the example below, the unbalanced load current is 10 amps.

Ed

3wire2.gif

[ September 08, 2004, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Ed,he is referring to the derating rule for more than 3 current carrying conductors. The neutral in the diagram you show would not be counted for derating purposes.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

The good part is that you don?t have to worry about how imbalanced the current is. If all of the load was on Phase A, and none on Phase B, then the neutral current would equal the Phase A current. In this case, the total heating value of all current in all wires would be no higher than it would have been, if the currents were perfectly balanced. That is true for 3-phase systems as well.

Now, harmonics are a different issue, but that was not part of the question.

lady sparks lover

We had this question before....

Does anyone find a lot of unbalanced service loads, and therefore have high neutral current??

I've seen it a few times, but mainly on panels with the harmonic problems. Other than that fine here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.