pool clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

russ

I did a pool inspection today. In my town a pool permit is required, mostly to make sure of clearance from property lines and overhead electrical lines, plus fence requirements. The pool inspector handles the whole thing, unless he thinks there's an electrical problem. If there is, I look at it.

The pool company did not take the permit, they told the home owner to take the permit out or they would not install the pool. Yea I know, it sounds funky to me too.

It turns out the pool is only five or six feet horizontally away from the overhead lines running down the utility easement. Moving them is not a option. The home owner bought the pool and had it installed by the company that sold it to them, figuring they knew what they where doing, wrong. Now their stuck between a rock and a hard place. So far the pool company says it's the home owners problem, because that's where the owner wanted the pool.

Russ

[ July 01, 2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: russ ]

gregory

Re: pool clearance

Russ
I am wondering if this is a portable pool that can be easily moved or is it an inground pool. not that it really matters, the lines have to be 10' away no matter what. If you have diving platforms and slides the distance must be increased from the wires. Are the wires below 750 volts or 7-15 kva or more?

I think that the homeowner is stuck for the move. It sounds like the contractor who installed this is a clever fellow who has advoided responsibility. It sounds like a civil matter to be decided by the courts.

Homeowners should realize that the permit process is to protect them. If the contractor had taken the permit out he would be responsible for the move. He would also have been required to have insurance and to have the appropriate experience to do the job. I am sure that you have red tagged the pool. You have done your job.

russ

Greg:

It's a permanent above ground pool, thedeck is in no trouble. The over head lines are the 120/240 at 15ft, and the high voltage above that at about 20ft. It's a red tag I hated to write. I'm going to try to go above the individual store that sold the pool, to see if I can help these people. I,m also going to bring this up at the next IAEI meeting, to warn area inspectors about this company.

Russ

bill addiss

Russ,

Doesn't the Contractor always have to follow the codes anyway? If they are Licensed I would think they could be held accountable somehow.

Bill

gregory

Russ

I have done a little reserch on the subject and I have found that the village where I work All sub-contractors must be registered and have required insurance. If you have such an ordinance in your town, the sub-contractor would be in violation of the ordinance. You could issue a citation for him not being registered and conforming to city regulations. This may be enough to get the contractor to move the pool.

racraft

If I were the homeowner I would be suing the pool contractor. When I had my above ground pool installed, the contractor told me I needed a permit, and that they would not work without one. They also told me exactly what I would need to do to get one. I dutifully went and applied for a permit. The town issued the permit within a few days, pending final electrical inspection. The contractor wanted to see the permit when they arrived to install the pool. The electrical inspection was done after the pool and electrical was installed, and then the town did a final inspection after they received the final electrical inspection report.

russ

Bill:
I talked to the woman in charge of dispatching the subcontractors, and told her something in that order. "Just because a customer request a location, that doesn't mean you can put it there if it's illegal." I think their going to meet the customer half way, and split the cost of the move.

Russ

russ

Greg:

I'll check into the subcontractor licensing tomorrow. I think you're right, but I have to check to be certain.

Russ

russ

Charlie:

The utility company is not one of the things I thought of. Now that you mentioned it, I'll give their engineer a call, to see what he thinks.

racraft:

The home owner and I talked about that. We both decided that even if it came out in owners favor, it could be along time before they could use the pool.
It's sort of, I'd like to have my pool now ,not a year from now.

I appreciate everyones comments, they all help.

Thanks Russ

pierre

Sounds to me like the contractor didn't know, didn't care, or both. Either way the contractor should be responsible, in my opinion. When I hired my computer network guy, he came back to fix a problem and did not charge me. That is good business!

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.