Set screw emt fittings damp location?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are EMT set screw fittings listed for use in damp locations?And how about ordinary 4 square box's?I did not think that they were but another inspector is telling me that they are.So I am looking for documentation one way or the other
Code sections or UL web site.
Thanks

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Re: Set screw emt fittings damp location?

From Bridgeport's site:

Steel EMT Set Screw Connectors

Application

Used to secure steel EMT to box or enclosure. Concrete-tight when taped. Plastic insulator rated 105? C.

Doesn't say anything about wet or damp locations. Article 314.15 is your Code reference for conduit fittings in damp locations.

Personally, anything we install outside of the four walls is compression.

After looking at this information do I assume that since it does not say anything about approved for damp location that you can not use them in a damp location?On the flip side fittings that are approved for wet locations state that they are approved for wet locations.

[ January 13, 2006, 10:47 AM: Message edited by: bassphisher ]

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer

I'm thinking back (and that's a lot of thinking because I'm old :( ) but I don't recall ever seeing a FITTING listed for damp locations. I know there are FIXTURES listed for damp locations. Of course, any fitting listed for wet would automatically work in damp locations. I bet if you called Regal or Bridgeport and asked for tech support, someone would be happy to help you on this.

I found it !!
I looked in a raco catalog,It states that they are for use in dry locations only.
Now I need to convince the contractor that the tent that he installed these in is a damp location. :roll:

raider1

Staff member

Here is a Link to UL and listings of emt fittings.

This doesn't say anything about "damp locations"

On a side note UL has re-evaluated the listings for "rain tight" and "wet location" rated compression fittings. The old compression type fittings are no longer listed for "wet locations" or "rain tight".

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.