Class 1 Div 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jr9361

In an alcohol filling room, how far does the class 1 div 1 area extend. And once the barrel is sealed what are the extents of the class 1 div 2 (verticle and horizontal)

jtb

Re: Class 1 Div 1

Hi,

Don't you hate it when no one answers? :(

I took a couple minutes to try, but I need more info, perhaps a sketch of the area layout.

I can steer you toward some code articles, Art. 500, 501, etc. but you probably have read these prior to posting.

If you need a good reference, go to www.appletonelec.com and get a copy of the NEC 2002 Code Review. It deals with Area, Division, or Zone classifications, construction materials and methods, etc.

In the back starting at p. S3 is a page that helps you determine generally the Zone and Division areas, but I think thorough review of your building areas and layouts is necessary to give an answer. Hope this helps a bit.

jtb

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

The classification of the area is outside the scope of the NEC. See 500.4. There are far too many variables to even think about assigning a classification based on information presented in this or any other forum. The area should be classified by an engineer familiar with the electrical code, the process, and the product. If the area is not classified by a professional, I would recommend that you make everything in the room Class 1 Division 1 to CYA.
Don

rick5280

In an alcohol filling room, how far does the class 1 div 1 area extend.
In my area, this room is called a bar :D :D :D :D !
Class 1, Div. 1? Your lucky if you get proper lighting, let alone classified.

I do agree with Don that there is not enough info for a good answer here. Let it be engineered, and go from there!

jr9361

This is a burbon distillery operation. Each barrel is filled with 53 gallons of 150 proof whiskey on its way to the aging facility. The barrels are transported horizontally so that they can be rolled. Presently there is a fair amount of spillage that occours while the barrel is filled (about 4 to 6 ounces per @ 1200 per day). We are going to eliminate the spillage with our new design but open alcohol is still present.

After the filling hole is plugged with a "bung" the barrel exits the filling area to proceed to the loading docks. In this condition I am assuming the classification is C1 D2 since the source of the hazzard is still present but under normal operations is contained and controlled. Will the lights in this area need to be Exp. proof? They will be 6 feet above the top of the barrel.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

jr,
What is the flash point temperature of the product? What is the normal ambient temperature? Does the amount of alcohol vapor in the air normally exceed the LEL?
This needs to be designed by a professional engineer that knows the product, process and the electrical codes. It is not a "do it yourself" on the internet type of project.
If you are doing it without a professional design, I would recommend to be safe and use an electrical system suitable for Class 1 Division 1. Yes, it is most likely extreme "overkill" but it is the only way to protect you and your company from liability, in the event of an accident. The cost of a professional design, may be less than a Class 1 Div 1 installation.
Don

jr9361

thanks, I'll propose doing everything C1-D1 unless their plant engineer signs off on doing it differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.