4000 amp panel room

Status
Not open for further replies.

james wuebker

Putting in 4000 amp switch gear in a room. The outside walls are cement and the 2 interior walls are going to be made from plywood and sheet rock. These walls are 24' high. On one interior wall the switchgear(3 dead front panels) will be against it. The problem is I don't like trying to fasten all my conduits on that plywood-sheet rock wall. Will have a lot of large size conduits going up and out of that wall. It's hard to get good support from the interior walls made from the plywood and sheet rock. I'm trying to get to company to put up cement block on these walls. They don't want to spend to extra $3000 for it. Also these walls will have a lot of traffic going near them and I'm also afraid these walls will get hit. The question is: is there anything in the code that I could use to make the company have to put up block walls on the interior walls and if there is where can I find it. I looked & looked and couldn't find anything. I have did it like this before but don't like it. A lot of extra work and afraid someday supports could give.
Thanks!
Jim

Re: 4000 amp panel room

NEC can care less about how they build the walls.
I suggest putting some blocking in the wall (2x6) where you are going to fasten to the wall, then you could lag into that.

benaround

Or just hammer drill thru the wall into the cement wall,set your anchor such as 3/8,cut 3/8 threaded rod to length and nut the strut to it.

triphase

James, had a recent situation such as yours in a new heart hospital. #1 are these metal studs? I am assuming, and what guage? #2 If 14ga. we just blocked behind and used deep strut ran a lot of 4" emt up. #3 For crash protection they cored the floor on one side due to delivery area and inserted bollards. #4 Also, make sure the Architect did not forget about 110.26(C)(2) this one did! Hope I helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.