backfed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj234

This question is about a single circuit breaker within an enclosure. It is mounted vertically with the on position being up. Does it matter if the line enters the bottom of the breaker, or does it have to be on top. There are no line and load markings on the breaker.
Also, would it make a difference if it was a shunt trip breaker?

stew

Re: backfed?

conventional connection is top feed and shunt trips are the same.If you were to feed it from the bottom an unwitting electrician that turned it off would get a big surprize if he forgot to check for voltage(wich is the proper safety proceedure). Havent found a code section but am still checking.

[ June 28, 2004, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: stew ]

stew

Cant find anything codewise however please dont feed it from the bottom. If I have to service it and have a dsa and dont check it I mite have to cash in my life insurance.

peter

At least you could pit a label om it saying that it is bottom fed.

As a side note, there are often a lot of problems in making up a box in which there are numerous black wires entering the box. The question is: which one is the line and which are the loads?

In about four years, someone will invent pink phase tape. This will be used to mark the incoming power or line.
The Code Making panels will love it because it will prevent electrocutions caused by this situation. The field electricians will love it because it will simplify the box make up. The manufactirers will love it because it will give them an eleventh color to make and sell. This will be a win-win-win situation.
~Peter

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

UL and the NEC both allow circuit breakers to be fed from the top or the bottom unless they have a lable indicating the "line and/or load" terminals.

If it is not specifically identified never assume and even then test first.

For many years GE motor control centers had all of their combination starter breakers bottom fed, I know of one resulting negative incidence .

Status
Not open for further replies.