Voltage on Nuetral?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a typical American,400amp feed,120v,60hz,2-phase panel for home use. What should the total Neutral return voltage be?

I've wondered this ever since I returned from Germany where I was an Electrician for the USAF.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Voltage on Nuetral?

Chris,
In a typical American,400amp feed,120v,60hz,2-phase panel for home use.
the problem is, this is not typical and a "neutral" wouldn't exist in it's true meaning if it were a typical system.

If we are looking at a typical 120/240 v single phase system, (one winding center tapped) the neutral should have no voltage in theory.

Roger

[ January 20, 2005, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

jtester

The neutral voltage depends on - neutral to what? If you measure neutral to ground at a service disconnect, you better read nearly 0 volts. On the other hand neutral current won't flow without accompanying voltage drop. A 120 volt single phase voltage drop calculation includes distance x 2, or circuit length down and back, or phase voltage drop plus neutral voltage drop. Neutral voltage depends on where your other reference is.
Jim T

My meaning was at the service disconnect. By the way I'm glad I stumbled across this forum. I've already looked over several of the postings and this is the most informative forum I've come across.

caosesvida

you may have some voltage to ground on a neutral. I commercial we can typically have 1 to 3 volts, and not worry too much about it. Over that the electronics tend to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.