Pro Panel Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

websparky

Here is a typical new home panel I see for service inspections. The panel is not complete yet but this will give you an idea of the type of workmanship that is the "norm" by most contractors here.

pnl1.jpg

jimwalker

Re: Pro Panel Install

Very nice work :) :) :) and when an inspector sees this he does not need to look near as hard at the rest of the job. :D

Hold on a minute.3RD breaker up on left,is that master bed room ? arci ?

[ November 10, 2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

If I may, I would like to take advantage of this picture being posted to ask a question. Note the connection bewteen the groundED and groundING bar. The "link" between these bars is dependant on the coppr bonding strap and the green screw that fastenes the strap to the can on top of the
strap (screw is barley visible behind the black wires), If this is a service panel, as it seems to be since the n/g are bonded, there is nothing in the installtion instructions with the panel to prohibit groundED conductors being terminated on the left side bar. I have a problem when I see grounded conductors, especially larger ones, being terminated on the left as the current path includes the 10/24 bond screw mentioned above.
Anyone have any comments on this ??

jeff43222

I'm wondering whether it's standard practice to connect the GECs to one bar and the grounded conductors to the other bar. Since the bars are connected it doesn't matter, but I'm still curious. I usually keep the GECs and grounded conductors from each circuit near each other and put them under alternating lugs. That way, there is less crossing from one side of the panel to the other (i.e., the wires entering on one side stay on that side).

Otherwise, I'd say this panel looks strikingly similar to ones I've wired, except that I don't use CH, and I usually put the grounding prong on the bottom when I mount receptacles.

[ November 10, 2005, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: jeff43222 ]

wyatt

I see this done some the thought is if you ever need to dislocate the service down the road all you need to do is un boand the neutral and your done. ps is that my 10 in 1 I lost on the other day.

electricmanscott

How did I know Jim would be the ready to nit pick. :D
MBR might mean master bath.

Augie, what is it that bothers you about the practice you describe?

[ November 10, 2005, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

jimwalker

Think real hard should that strap ever burn up or have bad connection.Do you now want to seperate them ? I had it happen years ago on an ITE.I seperate unless flat out of spaces.

pierre

Augie
I know there are many manufacturers, and I have not seen them all, but the ones I have seen have the strap tac welded to the enclosure. The screw is there so the strap can be removed if this is a subpanel.
The manufacturer tests this equipment this way for the potential current that may flow and it passes - so I see no problem here.

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Very nice work :) :) :) and when an inspector sees this he does not need to look near as hard at the rest of the job. :D

Hold on a minute.3RD breaker up on left,is that master bed room ? arci ?
master bath receptacle

mdshunk

That's the same panel I normally install. I hate to see guys hogging up the big neutral bar holes for the GEC's, since they are accomodated in one of the regular, smaller holes. The next guy that does a 100 amp subfeed from that panel will be cursing you.

Oh, and by the way, that's my 10 in 1 I left lay there.

allenwayne

Install looks pretty good,But is that an unused Nm connector top left side of the panel? :D Also the 10 in 1 is mine,how do I now.It has my middle name on it klien :D ;)

jimwalker

I prefer to leave an empty space between them afci to stop them from overheating.Think this was brought up a while back.Also shows how easily one could mis label a panel.MBR= master bed room or master bath receptacle,master bath room,or even Mikes bed room.
Thanks for returning my 10 in 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.