location of service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am putting in a 800 amp residential distribution panel. The inspector told me it had to be 10' away from a water source but did not know which section of the code to find it in. Is this true.

G

Re: location of service

Does your area fall under any State, County, or City codes? They can go far beyond the NEC and/or add/delete sections of the NEC.

[ May 19, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: awwt ]

cjcrawfo

I have done services in PA and inspectors have told me the same thing. I asked them where I could find that code in writing they seemed to just get ticked off at me. I am yet to see it! Good Luck!! :D

sandsnow

...where do inspectors get their training?????

Funny you should ask.
Here in CA, a law was recently passed to require inspectors to be certified ICC (old ICBO) or equivalent. A step in the right direction. The construction lobby got that through. Too many incidents as described above. An inspector who used to work here was adamant that wire nuts counted as devices for fill in a box. He went to a school to become an inspector. Draw your own conclusion. :roll:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

That means in Washington State we could never install a outside service.
I just installed a MCC in a pump station, 2 50 hp and 1 20 hp pumps, piping and valves. The service disconnect and MCC is inside with the pumps. No code violation there at all.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Wayne dont do that,I almost relieved myself when I read your reply.This has been brought up before. The only thing as far as the NEC goes is working clearance,and if you use a breaker lockout that`s not an issue. :D

hurk27

By A. Wayne: if you use a breaker lockout that`s not an issue.
How does using a lock out stop the requirment of 110.26? A main breaker panel or even a main lug panel will still need the space about the panel.

Look at 110.26(F) And 110.26(F)(1)

[ May 22, 2004, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.