emergency lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kfenn

Looking for an article in the NEC, which states that it is required to have EM lighting over elctrical panels! the inspector states 700.16

IF you read it, there is nothing thats said that you are required to have em's over electrical panel. Indiana follows the IBC, which I could not find any information either. Please Help.

kfenn

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: emergency lighting

kfenn
700.16 Emergency Illumination.
Emergency illumination shall include all required means of egress lighting, illuminated exit signs, and all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.
The last part of that first sentence from 700.16, and the fact that your AHJ cited it, leads me to ask if this job is in a location that is also governed by local fire ordinances?

jtester

kfenn

The NEC doesn't specify when to install emergency lighting, the UBC, the IBC, NFPA 101, etc., do. The IBC, for example, require emergency lighting in rooms, areas, buildings, etc., that require 2 or more exits. That is basically an occupant load of 50 or more. I find no requirements for em lighting around panelboards.
New to us in New Mexico, it also requires emergency lighting on the exterior of buildings at egress doors as well.

Jim T

jtester

ryan_618

IBC 10.3.2.11.2 is the requirement for emergency lighting, and there is no reference to occupancy. In each case it says "2 or more means of egress" or "2 or more exits."

I am sure that the different occupancies have requirements for when you have two or more exits, but the IBC is much easier to follow than the UBC and/or the Life Safety Code, which changes based on occupancy as well as occupant load.

The rule as I read it is "if you are required to have 2 or more exits, you are required to have emergency lighting.

As an inspector you may have a different interpretation.

Jim T

ryan_618

Jim: Occupancies A,B,E,F,M and U require 2 exits at 50 occupants. Occupancies H-2, H-2 and H-3 require 2 exits at 3 occupants. Occupancies H-4, H-5, I-1, I-3, I-4 and R require two exits at 10 occupants, and Occupancy group S requires two exits at 30 occupants.

I agree that emergancy lighting and exit signage is a function of the required exiting, what I don't agree with is that it is required at 50 occupants. IBC Table 1004.2.1

jtester

ryan
Thanks for the clarification, the rule is ...2 or more exits... not an occupant load of 50.
I can't wait to meet up with an architect on my next job. The IBC has been in effect for only a few months here, and we're all learning.
Thanks again

Jim T

ryan_618

Your very welcome Jim. I am certified as an insepctor and plans examiner under the IBC. If I can help you out, shoot me a private message and I'll giev you my E-mail address.

:)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

Our local inspection department requires emergency lighting in all toilet rooms.

Maybe they think there will be 50 people in that 8' square, one seat toilet room :D

websparky

Hi Guys,

The egress lighting has absolutly nothing to do with the number of exits or the number of occupants.

Here is the 2003 IBC which is essentially identical to the 2000 IBC:
SECTION 1006
MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION
1006.1 Illumination required. The means of egress, including the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building space served by the means of egress is occupied.
Exceptions:
1. Occupancies in Group U.
2. Aisle accessways in Group A.
3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2
and R-3.
4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.
Also, this section of the electrical code says the AHJ may deem a location necessary
.....all other lights specified as necessary to provide required illumination.
like an equipment room.

jtester

websparky
1006.1 Requires the areas to be lit.
1006.3 tells you that the power should normally be provided by the premises electrical system, but in the event of a power supply failure, only certain areas must be illuminated by an emergency electrical system. Not every area described in 1006.1 is required to be lit in the event of a power failure.

websparky

jtester:

Bolding to catch your attention to certain words and phrases.

MEANS OF EGRESS.
A continuous and unobstructed path of vertical and horizontal egress travel from any occupied portion of a building or structure to a public way. A means of egress consists of three separate and distinct parts: the exit access, the exit and the exit discharge.

SECTION 1006
MEANS OF EGRESS ILLUMINATION
1006.1 Illumination required. The means of egress, including
the exit discharge, shall be illuminated at all times the building
space served by the means of egress is occupied.
Now if the power goes out during a work day, all "three distinct parts" of the means of egress requires illumination. Right?

The next section has been there for 3 code cycles. This merely reiterates and re-enforces 1006.1

In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate the following areas:
1. Exit access corridors, passageways and aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more means of egress.
2. Exit access corridors and exit stairways located in buildings required to have two or more exits.
3. Exterior egress components at other than the level of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.
4. Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1023.1, in buildings required to have two or more exits.
5. The portion of the exterior exit discharge immediately adjacent to exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

The emergency power system shall provide power for a duration of not less than 90 minutes and shall consist of storage batteries, unit equipment or an on-site generator. The installation of the emergency power system shall be in accordance with Section 2702.
Ryan:

????

Exceptions:
1. Occupancies in Group U. Utility and Misc.
2. Aisle accessways in Group A.seating aisles
3. Dwelling units and sleeping units in Groups R-1, R-2
and R-3.residential
4. Sleeping units of Group I occupancies.institutional,

charlie

Keep in mind the IBC means two things, International Building Code and Indiana Building Code which is the International Building Code with the Indiana amendments.

I am making a guess on the above statement based on the Indiana Residential Code (International Residential Code with the Indiana amendments). :D

ryan_618

Dave: All of the areas you list apply only when two exits are required. I haven't opened my IBC during this conversation, so I might have been off on my last statement, but let me quote your statements:
In the event of power supply failure, an emergency electrical system shall automatically illuminate the following areas:
1. Exit access corridors, passageways and aisles in rooms and spaces which require two or more means of egress.
2. Exit access corridors and exit stairways located in buildings required to have two or more exits.
3. Exterior egress components at other than the level of exit discharge until exit discharge is accomplished for buildings required to have two or more exits.
4. Interior exit discharge elements, as permitted in Section 1023.1, in buildings required to have two or more exits.
5. The portion of the exterior exit discharge immediately adjacent to exit discharge doorways in buildings required to have two or more exits.

The emergency power system shall provide power for a duration of not less than 90 minutes and shall consist of storage batteries, unit equipment or an on-site generator. The installation of the emergency power system shall be in accordance with Section 2702.

websparky

Ryan,

OK......??
I'll give you that it seems odd that they repeat the original requirement in more detail in 1006.3 but 1006.1 still needs compliance.

Illumination of the means of egress is required at all times the building space is occupied.

This would exclude any areas that are lit that are not part or the egress.

Right??

ryan_618

Hi Dave. Remember that in a commercial building you are always in a means of egress. If you are not outside (discharge) or in a protected enclosure such as a vertical or horizintal enclosure (exit) then you ARE in the access. In my opinion, the wording could use some work. I beleive what they are trying to say is that everywhere in the building is required to have illumination, but only those areas critical to escape and rescue need emergancy lighting.

If all portions of the means of egress requied E-lighting, you would need E-lites in areas such as janitors closets, which are by definition part of the exit access. I think for obvious reasons you can't be expected to install emergancy lighting in every portion of the exit access.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Along these lines, I have a broader question. At what point did you guys break down and purchase the building code of your areas? I have had occasions in the past month where a knowledge of or access to the UBC would have been really handy, but I can't justify the price. The NEC is about all I can say grace over right now, in terms of my knowledge of it. :)

Is common with the electricians in here to have a copy of their building code, or just inspectors who have to fill several roles?

ryan_618

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Along these lines, I have a broader question. At what point did you guys break down and purchase the building code of your areas?
This is my answer:
Is common with the electricians in here to have a copy of their building code, or just inspectors who have to fill several roles?

Status
Not open for further replies.