AC remote panel for Swimming pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a 50amp main lug only AC panel which will be used to power some pool equipment at a dwelling unit. The pool equipment is located outdoor. The 50amp panel will be used to power 220v AC motor ckts for pool circulation and maintenance. One 3/4 HP and one 1 HP motor. Each motor will be equiped with GFCI breakers installed on the new 50amp panel. The panel will be in a type 3r enclosure.
I am intending to power the new 50amp panel from the existing 200amp panel board in the existing dwelling basement with a 50amp inverse time breaker. The feeder for the panel will be underground and buried according to article 680 and each motor will be bonded to the ground grid for the pool. The pool is an in-ground outdoor pool with a water depth greater than 42 inches.
The motor equipment is located 16 feet from the pool wall and above the water level.
I intend to provide a 50amp or greater disconnect switch with no inherent overcurrent protection, (switch only) for the ac panel.
The disconnect will be located within site as article 680 states and the disconnect for this panel will be installed adjacent to the new panel outdoors.

Does the AC panel itself need to be GFCI protected?
(Am a bit lost in determining the code requirement for this in article 680).

I am undecided and or unclear on whether to use a 50amp GFCI at the main AC 200amp panel instead of the 50amp inverse time breaker. Or provide a 50 amp GFCI disconnect at the disconnect location mentioned above.
Which in your expert opinions would be best?
I already rehearsed in my head that if I went ahead as planned and during inspection the local municipality insisted on GFCI protection for this panel, that I would replace the 50amp inverse time breaker with a GFCI and be covered.
Any comments appreciated.
And thank you in advance.

bphgravity

Re: AC remote panel for Swimming pool

Im not exactly sure GFCI protection is required at all? Are you hard-wiring or cord-and-plug connecting the pool pump motors?

In any case, the feeder to the outside panel is permitted to be GFCI protected, however I do not believe it is required. :)

The motors will be hard wired to the new panel. They will not be cord and plug connected.
I am also wondering whether the new remote panel should comply with the provisions for grounding by article 250.32. I am also thinking of adding a grd electrode per this 250.32 article at the remote panel.
What do you think?

And thank you.

bphgravity

I do not believe the NEC requires the pool pump motors to be GFCI protection for your particular installation.

I also do not believe section 250.32 would apply to your installation unless the second panel is loacted on another structure or building and will be serving that structure or building. If the panel is located on or at the occupancy the service is located, normal grounding/bonding is all that will be required. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.