bathroom light fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

moondog23

a new home is being roughed in. The light over the vanity has a single 14/2 non-metallic sheathed cable (romex) stapled to the wall at the correct height, with no box.

The electrician said he did not need one, as the fixture itself would provide the protection for the wire nuts and connections.

he is right? Can I prove it (either way) by the code book?

In California we still use the 1999 NEC, believe it or not.....

thanks for your help.........

physis

Re: bathroom light fixture

I think 334.30(C) should cover it.

Edit: Mine's 2002. :(

[ December 06, 2004, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

rattus

Not a pro myself, but fluorescent fixtures typically have knockouts for romex clamps or conduit terminations in which case a box would not be needed.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Yes he is right, I do it all the time too.

Many of these vanity fixtures are surface mounted and have a 1/2" KO on the back. You just put a romex connector on the cable poking through the wall, slide the cable and connector through the KO and tighten the lock nut. Then you fasten the fixture to the wall as required- usually toggles or anchors and screws.

Even if the vanity fixture does require a box for mounting I will usually just poke the cable through the sheetrock on rough anyway. Easy enough to cut a box in later if required and is the best way to locate the fixture on the center line of where it needs to be.

-Hal

peter d

This is standard practice across the country.

Although we do it slightly differently here. On rough in, we run a long piece of romex up and down the studs in each stud cavity in the vanity area, then lightly tap in the staples. This is the only time a cable gets intentionally buried by the sheetrockers. :D

After sheetrock, this allows for any possibility, such as 2 lights above the mirror, 2 lights to the sides, or one light above.

[ December 08, 2004, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

Status
Not open for further replies.