What wiring method will satisify the NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickg

I may be running a branch circuit to a stationary dock soon. The dept of environmental management put in a stipulation saying that in the last 100 feet to the dock, there can be NO disturbance, ie: the utilities (water & electric) must see daylight. In other words these utilities must be on the surface, no digging of any kind. We cannot put up a rail to run our conduit along in this area. I need to find a CODE COMPLIANT wiring method where I can run the branch circuit on the ground. What bothers me is they can have stone steps in this area, dug into the side of the slope, but I cannot dig even 12 inches for a wire or conduit. I have considered electric vehicle cable (rated for extra hard use, wet locations), it would need to be sunlight resistant also. I have also considered sch 80 pvc either as a conduit for thwn or as a protective sleeve. The wiring method has to be at the side of a 6 foot wide foot path. How would I secure these to be code compliant? Any ideas for another method? The conditions are as follows: salt water, tidal, though it may only see an occasional extreme high tide, salty atmosphere (fog, dew, etc). Thanks for any assistance

RickG

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: What wiring method will satisify the NEC?

Get the gas company to run a line out on the dock. Install a gas powered generator.

bphgravity

Re: What wiring method will satisify the NEC?

This sounds ike it is going to be an AHJ situation. Other contractors must have run into this same problem before.

Your best bet is 90.3 second paragraph. "By special permission, the authority having jurisdiction may waive specific requirements in this Code or permit alternative methods......"

Good Luck, lets us know your final solution! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.