class1, division2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayjong

hey all-

oops- just realized i posted this in the wrong place, can a moderator move?
thanks!

we don't get many of these...
08 NEC
customer wants to install 3 spray booths (furniture) in an existing warehouse.
spraybooths are factory supplied, all safety features included.
my take is that the warehouse around the booths becomes a class 1 division 2 location by definition. true?

if so, how does customer mitigate the existing EMT conduit/switches/lights throughout the warehouse?
or does anything need to be done with the existing?
create a "room" around the spraybooths?
any thoughts would be great!
thanks!

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As usual, this will depend on the size, operation and ventilation of the process. Without knowing the details, we can't give specific answers. Basic information is in Article 516, but don't just look at the diagrams, read the whole Article. Also review the relevant reference standards mentioned in the Scope (516.1) FPN.

mayjong

thanks so much.
i'm embarresed :ashamed1:
i should have looked in the index, i wasn't even looking in 516...

sgunsel

Article 516 should answer your questions if you are on 2008 NEC. The 2011 NEC has errors which are likley applicable to your application. NFPA 33 is the source document for article 516 and NFPA 33 was updated to simplify and reduce the extent of some Class I, Division 2 areas. NEC 2011 article 516 states that it includes the changes made in the 2011 NFPA 33, but does not in many cases. I have no idea how your AHJ will address this situation. This has been brought to NFPA's attention, but I do not know how/if they are correcting the errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.