334.10 uses permitted - type NM cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

Acouple of threads ago I ask if NM cable could be run exposed in detacted garages. Well I was looking up some thing else in my " Analysis of Changes, NEC's 2011 " and found the change for detact garages. " Type NM cable can now be used in attached or detached garages and in one and two family dwelling storrage buildings without concealment behing a finished 15-minute rating thermal barrier. I think I need to read this book more.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The change in the 2011 code was made to correct what happened in the 2008 code wording. There was no intent to prohibit the use of exposed NM in detached garages in the 2008 code, but the wording did exactly that. That being said, there is always the issue of "physical damage" and that is a subjective rule as the term is not defined. The code does prohibit the use of NM where exposed to physical damage. My view of that term is that "if you can see it, it is exposed to physical damge", most inspectors don't go that far:)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The code does prohibit the use of NM where exposed to physical damage. My view of that term is that "if you can see it, it is exposed to physical damge", most inspectors don't go that far:)
:cool: I love it. This is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle of modern electrical inspection. "The act of observing interfers with the observed."

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.