Volt drop and supply required

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanward

I need to supply a 24V Engine with an incoming Voltage of 220V. The run from the batteries is to the engine will be 12M. The core cable i wish to use is a 70 sq mm cable and the batteries are 12V 880Amps. Please advise on the volt drop and how many batteries i need to set up to achieve this. It would be great to get a clear explanation as I want to learn rather than just get an answer.
Thanks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Volt drop and supply required

I suggest you go to the home page of Mike Holt?s web site (there is a link at the top of this page), look under ?Free Stuff? for the voltage drop calculator. It is an excel spreadsheet that can give you the voltage drop, given the wire size, the length, the amps, the volts, and the number of phases (three versus one). You will need to convert from metric, and here are two of the conversions: 70 mm2 wire is about the same as a #2/0, and 12 meters equates to about 39 feet.

As to learning the method, the formula(s) you need for voltage drop calculations are shown on the spreadsheet. After you give it a try, let us know if you need more information.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Volt drop and supply required

I can't find it either. If you send me a Private Message (it's one of the icons above each posted response) with your email address, I will forward you a copy of the excel file.

Anybody know what happened to the VD calculator that was on Mike's Free Stuff site?

Status
Not open for further replies.