Wiring recepacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul B

How many of you guys have trouble with the stabs verses putting the wire under the screw. I have gone back on quite a few jobs to find the trouble was the stab connection. I never do it any longer. One guy I used to work for called it job security. What are your thoughts?

Paul

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Re: Wiring recepacles

Always use the screw or the back wired pressure plate type although more expensive. Back-stabbed connections are well, don't want to use the "c" word. :D

triphase

Paul, they can put You in service call Heaven (If another contractor did it )or H--- ! If You did it "Monitarily speeking only" I prefer spending a few extra seconds to Hook and Screw the devices. On the other hand, just like anything else, if either method is not installed properly You can have problems with both methods.

triphase

John PLEEEEEZE No "C" word! "I just cant take it more "I was in therapy for days after that thread."

jeff43222

I never use back-stabbed receptacles. From what I've seen, if it's even an option, it's generally a low-quality device to begin with.

My preference is to loop the wire and hook in under the side screws. I like to see that the connection is tight. I'm not absolutely opposed to using a back-wired connection if it is tightened down with a screw (P&S receptacles are designed this way). Still, I prefer to see the connection, so I almost always use the side screws.

raider1

Staff member

I agree with triphase, either method if done improper can result in a dangerous situation. I have gone on a few service calls where the screw on the receptacle has been either stripped out or not tightened completely.

Oh, by the way I also prefer to use the screws on the side of the receptacle.

Chris

B

bthielen

Okay, so you've back-stabbed a receptacle and it is hanging out of the device box on it's 6"-8" wire leads. Now you have the task of stuffing the receptacle into the box. What direction is the pressure being put on the wires? The problem with back-stabbing is that when one applies inward pressure on the wire, the connection has less integrity. It is only when you try to pull the wire out that it gets tight. An inspector in my area indicated to me that it is quite often that he finds charred wires where back-stabbing is employed. Something to think about.

Bob

Paul B

Thanks for the replies guys. I was hoping there were not to many out there using the stabs.

My BAD experience with stabs was, a modular home that had a short wired from the factory. White and black where on the same side. The stab lost connection due to the short. Not knowing what the problem was, i started removing outlets. When i moved the one that had the short, BAM....it made connection again due to moving it. If it was under the screw, it would have shorted and that would have been it.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by Paul B:
What are your thoughts?
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways? :confused:

Seriously, new receptacles will not accept #12 wire. I take that as a hint. (and #14 is even thinner.)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by LarryFine: Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
Why is material sent across country by a railcar called a "shipment," when the same material sent by ship would be called "cargo"? :confused:

Why do we use the word "manufactured" to describe something made by a machine, when the origins of that word are from Greek words that mean "made by hand"? :confused:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Why do we build bunches of dwellings in one building, and then call them apartments?

scwirenut

Well I must stand to disagree. I have backstabbed over 5000 duplex receptacles and switches for over 5 yrs (25000) and have yet to be called back on a single one. If you train your help and yourself properly on the installation procedures (as in anything) you wont have a problem. my jobs are proof. also on a simular note I havnt used wirenuts in 3yrs. Ive been using WAGO WALL-NUTS for everything. lights, cans, fans, cut-ins, water heaters, you name it #10 and under. Also not one problem. ( NOT ONE )I would give up my battery drills before giving up WAGO's...you guys are waisting time ...........or should I say money

PS There is a difference in the strip length required between the cooper recepts(big box stores) and Trademaster (P&S) be carefull if your guys memorize their strip length and you switch brands. get it right, dont overload your circuits, learn how to fold back your wires so they sit naturally in the box (as opposed to jammed in), ect.........

tshea

Policy in my shop is NO BACKSTAB.
Screws with pressure pads and holes on the back--Spec Grade--are the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.