Old GE "split bus" Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlennG

I recently looked at a bathroom job, the house has an old GE split bus panel. The panel has about a 50/50 mix of twin breakers, and regular breakers. There is no markings of any kind to indicate what this panel is rated to handle, more specifically if the twins are legal since i would need to use one to tie in my circuit. I am hoping that someone who has a little more expericance with these panels might be able to give me some more info before i give a price. Thanks

mike7330

You need to see what size wire is feeding the main lugs. That may give you some idea what the service was wired for. You need to look on the side of the box or the cover for the rating. Don't forget you are only allowed 6 disconnects in the upper section.
And I don't ever remember using twins in the bottom section. But if the buss looks like you can install the GE twins, then ok.
I would change the service if you can and you may have to if you can't added any GE breakers

hurk27

Most of these had an upper rated 100 amp feeding the lower rated 50 or 60 amps

The upper is design for 2-pole breakers only, with one feeding the bottom section in most cases a 2-pole 50 or 60, I have seen bottom sections rated for 8/16 OCPDs but you will have to look on the label if available, most of these were not CTL rated panels but the replacement only tandems were allowed in them if so marked.

Most upper sections would take 4 two-pole breakers while I have seen a few with spaces for 6 but never made sense except with electric heat.

Also there are 150 amp up to 400 amp versions, a 200 amp rated upper is not all that uncommon with a 100 amp bottom.

Most split buss panels I find today are on houses with two meters one disconnected and jumped from the load side of the other.

Back in the day the utility allowed reduced rate electric heat and or air, hot water, split services with two meters it was not that un common to have one meter feed the upper to feed the reduced rate electric loads and then the neutral loads would feed from the bottom from its own meter at regular rate, with the jumpers from the upper breaker removed and its spot used for other loads, Now I'm showing my age:blink:

Last edited:

hurk27

Many do, dont see a danger if they keep neutral loads in the botom section and dont over load the top, bottom would be protected by its main but the top doesnt have a main unless you back fed one of the two poles, but in the end it would be the AJH call to make.

Most of the twin meter setups I have seen the top was back fed through a breaker and the lugs were used to feed the bottom, so at least it had OCPDS for both sections.

Would I loose sleep over it? not as long as both sections have OCPDS or the added load was fed from the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.