Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The consumer product safety commission has sent this out

Firm's Recall Hotline: (855) 833-8657
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Motion Sensing Security Lights Recalled by HeathCo due to Electrical Shock Hazard Sold Exclusively at Home Depot

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of product: Motion Security Lights

Units: About 7,800

Manufacturer: HeathCo LLC, of Bowling Green, Ky.

Hazard: Internal wiring can be damaged during installation, bulb replacement or adjustment, posing an electric shock hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: This recall involves Heath?/Zenith 270? Motion Security Lights with model number SL-5414-WH. It replaces a standard outdoor wall mounted light fixture and is designed to turn on when motion is detected at night. The product has two cone-shaped lightbulb receptacles attached to a round mounting plate. A small, rectangular motion sensor is attached to the mounting plate between the lightbulb receptacles. The unit is made of aluminum and plastic. It comes in white only. The brand name and model number are on a label located on the back of the motion sensor.

Sold Exclusively at: Home Depot Stores from September 2011 through April 2012 for about $30.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the light, turn off power to the unit at the circuit breaker or fuse panel and contact HeathCo for a free replacement light fixture.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact HeathCo toll-free at (855) 833-8657 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday, e-mail hzproductnotice@heathcollc.com, or visit the company's website at www.heath-zenith.com/hzproductnotice

To see this recall on CPSC's web site, including a picture of the recalled product, please go to:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12236.html

renosteinke

Here we have the cheapest possible product - the fixture costs less than decent bulbs to put in it - and we're supposed to be surprised that it's an unsafe piece of junk?

I'm beginning to think that customers deserve what they pay for.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Here we have the cheapest possible product - the fixture costs less than decent bulbs to put in it - and we're supposed to be surprised that it's an unsafe piece of junk?

I'm beginning to think that customers deserve what they pay for.

I agree with you. However the average customer does not believe that cheaper is Junk. Those persons associate cheaper with less features not unsafe. It's like a manufacture giving a product a 60 day warranty vs. a 5 year. The consumer does not believe the product is actually better. Often times these days the product is not.

Just look at our trade. one person may charge 25 hr. while another charges 125 hr. Who's to say which is better or who is faster. Price is all over the place.

We could go on but that would be for another thread.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am mixed about some of the cheap stuff. I bought a $10 fixture from costco for our guest bath and it looks good and has held up well. I normally don't do that but I looked at it and it looked as good as the $100 fixtures similar to it.

renosteinke

Dennis, I'll agree with you there .... the box stores have all manner of $60 fixtures that seem no worse than the $500 fixtures the lighting supplier wants to sell you. Better yet, you don't need to wait six weeks for delivery!

Yet, this thread is about the absolute cheapest 'outdoor' fixture there is- little more than a keyless with an outdoor bulb. Heck, each bulb costs more than the fixture, motion sensor and all! What do folks expect?

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Is it not possible for the wiring to become damaged or pinched against metal parts during installation of many fixtures?
Did it say that this fixtures metal parts were not grounded?

PetrosA

Is it not possible for the wiring to become damaged or pinched against metal parts during installation of many fixtures?
Did it say that this fixtures metal parts were not grounded?

It also says the problem can be instigated by relamping or adjusting the sockets. We all know we have to be careful to not pinch the wires when installing, but no one expects a fixture to short out when you change the bulb...

Status
Not open for further replies.