Sump pump wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlandis44

I just discovered that the sump pump in my new home is wired in with all the rest of the basement lighting. I keep reading that sump pumps should be on their own circuit. Is this code, or just a recommendation? Also, it is on a 15 amp circuit with at least 6 other light fixtures and the house's smoke detectors. The tag on the wire says it draws 13 Amp Max when running, but 60 Amp Max during startup. How can a 15 Amp circuit support all this stuff? I've noticed no problems so far, but this seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Thanks for your help!
Jon Landis

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Re: Sump pump wiring

"I keep reading that sump pumps should be on their own circuit"
Where do you read this?
If you have a copy of the NEC then I can direct you to the answer.

jlandis44

The place(s) I keep reading that it should be on its own circuit are various sites on the internet. I do not own my own copy of the NEC...

Thanks!
Jon

Leitmotif

Is NEC going to be around to help when the basement floods?

IF it were MY basement:
1. Pump would be on own circuit completely independent of anything else.
2. Second pump would be on independent circuit,
with battery charger, battery and DC motor for backup.

Both circuits would be on GFCI.

john m. caloggero

Based on 430.22, the 13 amp motor should be on a circuit supplied by number 12 wire. If the motor branch circuit is supplied by a circuit breaker it could be rated as high as 35 amps. If it was my house, I would want it on a circuit by itself and rated to operate without failing when needed most when the water is climbing up the walls.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

I would think this might be a violation of 210.23(A)(1):

Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place: The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50% of the branch circuit ampere rating where lighting units....are also supplied.

Steve

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by jlandis44:I do not own my own copy of the NEC.
You can probably find a copy at the local library. It might be in their "reference collection," so you might be limited to reading it there.

There is also a free on-line version. It is not very convenient (e.g., no search feature), but it is accessible. Look at the FAQ topic at the top of the NEC Forum.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by steve66:
I would think this might be a violation of 210.23(A)(1):

Utilization Equipment Fastened in Place: The total rating of utilization equipment fastened in place, other than luminaires, shall not exceed 50% of the branch circuit ampere rating where lighting units....are also supplied.

Steve
my sump pump is not fastened in place. it just sits in the bottom of the sump.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

OK, I can see now you are not an electrician.
And the answers given are correct. You exceed the rating of the circuit with the sump pump.
A seperate circuit is required or a smaller sump pump. Thats as far as we'll go with this post, you'll need to hire an electrician....
By the way Sears makes a battery powered sump pump.

Status
Not open for further replies.